Question Mini DP to Mini HDMI

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
I am looking to get external portable monitors for my Alienware laptop and it has a HDMI, mini displayport and USB C output (I am not sure if the USB C supports thunderbolt). I intend to have 2 portable monitors but unless I get an adapter that makes my 1 hdmi port into 2 (so I can have two hdmi to mini hdmi cables) I'll be limited to 1 extra monitor.
Whilst checking sites to see if a cable that does mini dp directly to mini hdmi (I have not found any such cable yet) I found that I could do a mini dp to hdmi adapter and then a hdmi to mini hdmi adapter. I then came across the issue that some of those cables were listed as not bi-directional which I assume would be an issue for a monitor.
Any cable/adapter recommendations? Do any such mini dp - mini hdmi cables exist?

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
that would be a last resort. I have located a mini dp to hdmi adapter and a hdmi to mini hdmi cable that should in theory work.
But yes something like that hdmi splitter would be my last resort. I would prefer if I could get a direct mini dp to mini hdmi but ive looked a ton and a fair few people are saying it doesn't exist yet although you can do mini dp to hdmi then use a hdmi to mini hdmi

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Mini dp to HDMI - link (Checked on reddit and a few people said that the company was reputable after they had worked with that company link here)
HDMI to Mini HDMI - link (The company is random however I currently use some of their cables without issue)
(I intend to have 2 of these) Monitor Link I intend to use - link

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
although you can do mini dp to hdmi then use a hdmi to mini hdmi
This would be the cheapest option.

More comprehensive option would be KVM splitter, which is used when there is 1 PC but it needs to output to several monitors/KB/mice at once. KVM splitter is reverse device for KVM switch. Though, KWM splitters are used in server parks and are quite expensive. More sensible option would be using 2 PC KWM switch, which supports 2 monitors. E.g this one,
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Supported-Wireless-Keyboard-Adapter/dp/B07ZYJD11D

2nd one too, with both, DP and HDMI input and output ports,
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Monitors-Displayport-Supports-Computers/dp/B0BWLYVK56

May 19, 2023
that would be a last resort. I have located a mini dp to hdmi adapter and a hdmi to mini hdmi cable that should in theory work.
quit bit hard to underdstand, you wanna two screen obviouslly hope them to show different image at the same time so all you need is a MST adapter not a Splider(dualclip image not two different) or a KVM(since you have only one Alienware laptop), you are gonna need sth like this dock but DP 1.4 maybe

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
you are gonna need sth like this dock but DP 1.4 maybe

"Something like this" doesn't cut it. That adapter (dock) supports only mirror monitor and extend monitor (e.g normal to ultrawide). It doesn't give OP the true dual-display setup, where each monitor shows different desktop.

Also, what's the thing of replying far after when topic is essentially concluded? :unsure: Or do you really think, that month later, OP is still having their issue?