[SOLVED] Minimize resources usage during the night?

Josiah_2854

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
When I normally use my computer, it's super loud and heats up the room like crazy. The case is too small and the cables too long to allow for proper cable management, not to mention all the components take up a lot of space on their own.

Anyway, I'm wanting to leave my computer on during the night, so I can have my webcam continuously record. I really wanna minimize how much the pc works, as much as possible. As close to sleep mode as I can get. I don't mind having to change settings manually at night and in the morning, but if there are automated solutions, that would be amazing.

Any ideas/advice?

Solution
The R9-380 should idle itself down pretty well (as well as you're going to get without physically removing it), and recording video shouldn't cause it to think it needs to come out of sleep. As long as it stays idle, that's all you want.

I think this is just a matter of making sure the FX-8350 doesn't run at full clock while doing something as simple as recording video. Go forward with the frequency limits. You can do this many different ways.
Software-wise, simply changing the "max frequency %" in Windows Power options is probably the easiest to revert out of without having to restart.
I set up a saved "low power" BIOS profile for situations like this. Limited CPU multiplier to 15 (1.5GHz) or something like that.
I don't think I want to know why you want your webcam recording as you sleep....

This is for heat or noise reasons?

Let's start with you listing your specs. Mobo, CPU, GPU, Case, fan (size & model, quantity)

One thing I do is to limit the CPU frequency when I need to keep power usage low (<2GHz uses wayyyy less power than 4GHz).
Close all background processes/programs.

Josiah_2854

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
Get your head out of the gutter, it's DIY CCTV.

Mainly heat, I don't think I'll be able to fall asleep with my pc turning the room into an oven.

CPU: AMD Fx-8350 Eight-Core
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 380 Series
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P
No clue about the case and fans, but I got 3 fans. 1 intake at the front, 2 outtake (one in the back/size and the other in the back).

The R9-380 should idle itself down pretty well (as well as you're going to get without physically removing it), and recording video shouldn't cause it to think it needs to come out of sleep. As long as it stays idle, that's all you want.

I think this is just a matter of making sure the FX-8350 doesn't run at full clock while doing something as simple as recording video. Go forward with the frequency limits. You can do this many different ways.
Software-wise, simply changing the "max frequency %" in Windows Power options is probably the easiest to revert out of without having to restart.
I set up a saved "low power" BIOS profile for situations like this. Limited CPU multiplier to 15 (1.5GHz) or something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Josiah_2854
Solution