[SOLVED] Mining advice for RX580 Is it a bad thing to increase memory clock to 2200 and reduce the core clock to 1200?

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Below is my specification
CPU - Intel i5-4590
Mobo - Biostar H81MLV3
GPU - Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8GB Golden Sample
RAM - 8GB DDR3 (not sure if I got 1333 or 1600)
PSU - Corsair CX650
Storage - and old 500GB 7200RPM HDD

I wanted to try mining for fun Im a complete noob i know nothing about mining or gaming or GPU or anything this is my first build and my first computer with a Dedicated GPU

MSI afterburner says
68 degree celsius temp(I keep my side panel opened on my Chiptronex Raptor RGB case)
core clock was 1411 i reduced it to 1200
memory clock was 2000 increase it to 2200
*and also not sure why MSI Afterburner shows Voltage as 0

Is it a bad thing to increase memory clock to 2200 and reduce the core clock to 1200?

using Claymore to mine Ethereum(not mining for profit just wanted to try it out)

I get between 29.7 to 30.5 M/Hs

didn't alert anything else I use the latest Adrenalin 19.1.2 AMD driver

Solution
Be sure to crank up your GPU fan, way up, near max. You don't want to fry your VRAM. As fan speed is normally related to GPU temp not VRAM temp. By lowering your Core Clock you'll also be reducing fan speed.

Decrease Core Clock until it starts effecting your hashrate. You are pretty well maxed out on the memory.

Even at optimal settings. You are likely spending more on electricity than you make mining.
Be sure to crank up your GPU fan, way up, near max. You don't want to fry your VRAM. As fan speed is normally related to GPU temp not VRAM temp. By lowering your Core Clock you'll also be reducing fan speed.

Decrease Core Clock until it starts effecting your hashrate. You are pretty well maxed out on the memory.

Even at optimal settings. You are likely spending more on electricity than you make mining.

Solution

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013

Thank you so much for your advice Fan speed is around 65% and temp is 63 C and I have the side panel opened is it safe to leave the memory at 2200 or can I even go further or should I reduce it?

and one more thing why MSI Afterburner shows Voltage as 0 any idea?

I'd turn the video card fan up higher at least 90%. That 63C is the GPU not the VRAM. Unless your card has a separate VRAM sensor. You don't know what their temps are. Their temps have no correlation to the GPU temp. Especially if the GPU is underclocked while the VRAM is overclocked.

Reactions: Arun05

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013

I'd turn the video card fan up higher at least 90%. That 63C is the GPU not the VRAM. Unless your card has a separate VRAM sensor. You don't know what their temps are. Their temps have no correlation to the GPU temp. Especially if the GPU is underclocked while the VRAM is overclocked.

Thank you I checked VRAM Temps using HWINFO app it is arouns 68-79 C is that fine?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Are you sure it said VRAM and not VRM temps?

Basically increase memory clock until hashrate stops increasing or you get errors/crashes. And then decrease core clock until you start to get a meaningful decrease in hashrate. And then decrease voltage until you start getting errors/crashes.

I was mining for about 8 months I think using the default fan curve (meaning my fans were running slowly due to low core temps). Didn't occur to me to keep fan speeds high just for the sake of the VRAM.