[SOLVED] Missing Modular Cables - EVGA Supernova 550 GS

ThundyUK

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Hi there,

I've managed to get myself a nice and cheap PC on eBay just to use as a server, but the titular PSU is missing two SATA cables, and both PCI-E cables so it's pretty useless despite being in good working order.

Is there any recommendation on where I can find replacement cables at all please? Maybe eBay? It it even worth it, and should I just get a new PSU?

Really annoyed about it as the PC is otherwise great and I'm loathe to throw out such a decent PSU.

Thanks for the advice.

Ok, cheers.

What about these? Different supplier but they're all from the same standard, right? Assuming that there isn't a proprietary socket fitting on the EVGA PSU end that is - wouldn't the pin layout be a standard compliant?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CORSAIR-Pr...64&hvtargid=pla-698224822455&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
No, Corsair has a different pinout.

Buying a new PSu is almost cheaper
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

ThundyUK

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Thanks everyone, you've given me some food for thought. I expect I'll go for a new PSU. I could even sell on the EVGA one with explicit caveats that it's missing the PCIE and SATA cables. Someone might be able to use it.

ThundyUK

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
More news, the seller has just managed to find a few modular cables and agreed to send me them for free. He has:

1 Modular SATA Power Cable, 2 SATA Plugs
2 Modular VGA cables
1 PCI-E Modular Cable, 2 PCI-e Plugs

I think that as the 550 GS has two x VGA out marked on the PSU the two x modular cables will be the correct PCI-E not the modular PCI-E with two PCI-E plugs but not sure. I'll have to see if I can find a wiring diagram and check the pin outs.

More news, the seller has just managed to find a few modular cables and agreed to send me them for free. He has:

1 Modular SATA Power Cable, 2 SATA Plugs
2 Modular VGA cables
1 PCI-E Modular Cable, 2 PCI-e Plugs

I think that as the 550 GS has two x VGA out marked on the PSU the two x modular cables will be the correct PCI-E not the modular PCI-E with two PCI-E plugs but not sure. I'll have to see if I can find a wiring diagram and check the pin outs.

Nice. Just have the guy confirm they're definitely EVGA. Nice thing about EVGA is that all of their cables are the same pinout regardless of OEM.

ThundyUK

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Nice. Just have the guy confirm they're definitely EVGA. Nice thing about EVGA is that all of their cables are the same pinout regardless of OEM.

Thanks.

Just a quick update.

The VGA modular cable from the original seller is definitely EVGA VGA to PCI-E 6+2 (x2 outputs on the lead). It looks ok but see below for more details.

The SATA power lead from the seller looks generic (he did warn me) so I'm not going to use that.

The PSU did come with molex modular lead, (for peripherals) so I'm going to use a molex to SATA adapter to power the SSD.

I also managed to speak to EVGA support even though the PSU is outside warranty and they sent me to this forum post for the 550GS modular PSU
but the design looks different. I suspect the GPU lead is the same as it's a row of 12v with a row of ground - I can't see it being the other way around from PSU to PSU though I'm trying to confirm that before I blow up a GPU.

https://forums.evga.com/Pinout-for-EVGA-Supernova-550-GS-m3046766.aspx

Check the image on the thread verses this one below which is mine.

Seems like the same model but with one being a revised version.

Thanks.

Just a quick update.

The VGA modular cable from the original seller is definitely EVGA VGA to PCI-E 6+2 (x2 outputs on the lead). It looks ok but see below for more details.

The SATA power lead from the seller looks generic (he did warn me) so I'm not going to use that.

The PSU did come with molex modular lead, (for peripherals) so I'm going to use a molex to SATA adapter to power the SSD.

I also managed to speak to EVGA support even though the PSU is outside warranty and they sent me to this forum post for the 550GS modular PSU
but the design looks different. I suspect the GPU lead is the same as it's a row of 12v with a row of ground - I can't see it being the other way around from PSU to PSU though I'm trying to confirm that before I blow up a GPU.

https://forums.evga.com/Pinout-for-EVGA-Supernova-550-GS-m3046766.aspx

Check the image on the thread verses this one below which is mine.

Seems like the same model but with one being a revised version.

I already told you that all EVGA cables work in all EVGA PSUs. We're past that point.

My concern would be if the guy sends you cables that are NOT for an EVGA PSU and instead for another brand PSU.

Molex to SATA adapter is not ideal, but will work in a pinch. If you want to figure out if the "generic" SATA is the correct pinout, use a multimeter.

ThundyUK

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
I already told you that all EVGA cables work in all EVGA PSUs. We're past that point.

My concern would be if the guy sends you cables that are NOT for an EVGA PSU and instead for another brand PSU.

Molex to SATA adapter is not ideal, but will work in a pinch. If you want to figure out if the "generic" SATA is the correct pinout, use a multimeter.

I know you did, but my reluctance stems from not being able to verify that pin out, and EVGAs own site states that there are compatibility issues in generational changes to their PSUs.

I can't verify the generic SATA cable will work without the PSU pin out diagram can I? If I don't know what pins on the PSU correspond to the PSU modular end to check the SATA end with a MM it's meaningless.

The VGA cable is definitely EVGA and even has the same font type on the side of the plugs.

I can't verify the generic SATA cable will work without the PSU pin out diagram can I? If I don't know what pins on the PSU correspond to the PSU modular end to check the SATA end with a MM it's meaningless.

Yes. You can. :D Really.

You plug the cable into the PSU without anything plugged into the cable. (Assuming it fits. If it doesn't click right in, you stop there because it's obviously wrong). You then probe the pins on the SATA connectors to make sure they're the correct voltages.

If you probe the SATA connector and find there's +12V where there should be +3.3V or +5V where there should be ground, then you know it's the wrong cable.

Also, apparently the information I got about EVGA cables being the same is wrong because I was shown this: https://cablemod.com/product-category/pro-series/?filter_series=e-series

Which seems to imply that even different wattages of the same series can have different pinouts. WAY TO GO, EVGA! :(

Reactions: Wolfshadw

ThundyUK

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
My probe won't even fit into the SATA end lol :p I'll stick with the molex-SATA adapter.
Good news on the PCIE power though - multi-meter confirms the cable is correct.
So only had to spend £6 on a decent Molex-SATA braided cable. Saved myself about £60 on a new PSU :)

Thanks for all the help and advice :)