Missing softwares on windows 8.1

Atique Chowdhury

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Hi ,
I am recently noticing a lot of missing files from my program hard drive, I am missing all my important programs such as MATLAB, Quartus and Multisim programs to gaming programs such as steam and origin. The shortcuts are still on my desktop but they're not pointing to any location. The files are totally missing from my hard drive.

My workstation has an OS ssd mount and a hard drive to store all my extra programs. Could there be a reason all these are just missing? I did link my old laptop to this computer just two days ago by installing windows 8.1 and using same email to log in both machines

Solution
So installing windows with two drives attached has caused this problem.

You need to re-install windows on your SSD - without the HDD being connected.

When Windows works, then connect the HDD and go into Disk Management and re-format the reserve partition - which will wipe it - and extend your other partition on the HDD to encompass the old reserve partition. You'll have to re-install apps onto the HDD that got at least partially wipe when the reserve partition was installed.

Atique Chowdhury

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015

Nope, but it ran fine for a month or so, this is a fairly new build. And yes! The deleted programs are all on HDD and the shortcuts are still there as if someone just deleted the files from their location

Atique Chowdhury

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015

Sorry my reply was not clear, i meant to say I didn't unplug my hdd when i was installing os on this ssd; i have all my programs on my hdd and just the os on ssd

Atique Chowdhury

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015

So i just checked and there are a bunch of questions that are in my head, first of all my OS was initially on hard drive, when i got my ssd i completely reinstalled windows on ssd while having hdd connected. I have that 100mb of 'data' as system reserve on hdd. But heres the thing that raises my concern, when I go browse my files under C:/ (ssd) all the system files are visible and it currently recognized as active boot and even has the little windows logo beside C:/ . But when i go under E:/ (Hdd) it doesnt have any system files just my files that i store within it, its completely empty otherwise. Thats good and all, but when I start my computer and choose ssd as boot, it gives me an error saying windows is not installed properly, but when I choose HDD as boot, it boots into ssd (?) I mean so far thats how i've been running the system but is that something I made a mistake on? If so how do I fix it

http://imgur.com/3S7jVVN

http://imgur.com/z26ivvD

http://imgur.com/qLk6557

So installing windows with two drives attached has caused this problem.

You need to re-install windows on your SSD - without the HDD being connected.

When Windows works, then connect the HDD and go into Disk Management and re-format the reserve partition - which will wipe it - and extend your other partition on the HDD to encompass the old reserve partition. You'll have to re-install apps onto the HDD that got at least partially wipe when the reserve partition was installed.

Solution

Atique Chowdhury

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015

thank you! I figured if anything happens to hdd in future the bootloader wont go through hdd into ssd, again thanks alot. I'll have to do a fresh reinstall just to keep my future added drives safe