MIT Researcher Creates Glowing, Alcohol Tracking Ice Cubes to Help Prevent Drunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToKiiNz

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
what did i just read? this is what they spend money on ice cubes that tract your positions? they already do that with satellites that can see through the walls in our houses why do they need these?

G

Oh.

This could help me.
Im dronken. Need help to get home.
Look at me ! I glow in the dark !

Police or momy know where to drag me.
Splendid indeed.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Or just buy your own breathalyzer (i.e. Backtrack B70 or whatever floats your boat), go out drinking, see how much you can have and what your BAC is after a certain amount of various drinks and test your own tolerance. I have my own breathalyzer and keep my BAC no higher than 0.03 before I drive anywhere. Oh, and eat while you drink and drink 1 water per drink or shot.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
To avoid drunks choking on these things, just embed them in the bottom of the glasses.
Still not a necessary thing, but they should be able to accomplish the same thing without the choking hazard.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
its a story about a guy making something for himself and friends, a unique invention. Now people are getting all mad about it like its commercially available or something and complaining like a consumer.

I think its a nifty idea and cool.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So if the person takes one glass of coke the sips will still counted as alcohol as it seem to rely on an accelerometer to do the counting - Rather useless but still a kind of geekish cool idea.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
I think the accelerometer needs to track the pattern the drinker uses to take a swig. If it starts to detect erratic behavior or a marked amount of hesitation, then initiate the cutoff procedure.

teflonbilly

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Wouldn't it be better to put a removable chip in a slot in the base of the glass? the bartender could just slip your chip into a reader that sets the alcohol level for that drink and it tracks how fast you drain it. each new drink the chip gets inserted into the new glass. The light effect would still be there and warn you when you have had enough. That would actually be a very marketable idea i would think. As long as the chips don't get mixed up between customers which is very easy to have happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.