[SOLVED] Mix Ram from same brand

Larrytf

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
i bought a set of G Skill Ram (F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR) which is DDR3 8Gb (4GBx2) 1600MHz back in 2014 and want to upgrade to 16GB. i was going to buy another of the same set but its really outdated and the same store i once bought it from dont sell it anymore. Can i buy newer set of ram from the same brand which is much newer and will it be compatible. Now it must also be DDR3. i was thinking of using a 1 Stick which is G.Skill as well 8GB 1600MHz (F3-1600C11S-8GNT)

Will these two work together with no problems

Solution
No one will ever be able to answer that question.

RAM modules are only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack). Even if they are the exact same make / model / timings, it is irrelevant. Mixed RAM modules are a 50/50 bet, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But there is no way you can ever guarantee compatiblity with mixed modules.

This usually is worse as the time of manufacture increases, as the module manufacturing process changes frequently.

This is why it is always best practice to buy a whole new pack together when upgrading RAM.

So in short, will they work together? Maybe
Can anyone guarantee they'll work together? No.

You'll only...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No one will ever be able to answer that question.

RAM modules are only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack). Even if they are the exact same make / model / timings, it is irrelevant. Mixed RAM modules are a 50/50 bet, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But there is no way you can ever guarantee compatiblity with mixed modules.

This usually is worse as the time of manufacture increases, as the module manufacturing process changes frequently.

This is why it is always best practice to buy a whole new pack together when upgrading RAM.

So in short, will they work together? Maybe
Can anyone guarantee they'll work together? No.

You'll only be able to know if you try them, but frankly I'd say save the headache and potential conflict and just buy a new pack, because the last thing you'd want is pay money, to find out they won't work together.

Solution