[SOLVED] Mixing two sticks of 2400 Mhz DDR4 Memory from different brands?

roobiksangelo

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Hello, so I'm planning on adding another stick of 4 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 Memory from the HyperX Fury lineup to my build. But I don't know what brand the current memory I have in my build is. They have the same exact specs, but are just different brands, is this okay?

Specs:
CPU: AMD A8-9600 APU
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1050 Ti Mini
RAM: 4 GB DDR4 2400 mhz (Brand N/A)
Storage: 500 GB WD Caviar Blue
PSU: 700w PSU that came with the case

Solution

Motherboards will automatically run the memory at the fastest JEDEC standard speed supported by all modules. If the memory doesn't work doing this, it's not built to JEDEC standards, or it's faulty.
Perhaps >99% was an exaggeration, as some modules require more than the standard voltage.

Anecdotally, I've never had a problem mixing memory.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010

Motherboards will automatically run the memory at the fastest JEDEC standard speed supported by all modules. If the memory doesn't work doing this, it's not built to JEDEC standards, or it's faulty.
Perhaps >99% was an exaggeration, as some modules require more than the standard voltage.

Anecdotally, I've never had a problem mixing memory.

Solution

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010

But it should. And most of the time it does.
This being a tech support forum, you will of course see more instances where it doesn't than where it does, but I'm sure it's not representative of memory as a whole.

USAFRet

Titan

"most of the time" is quite a bit different than ">99%"

It might work, it might fail.
The only thing that can be said about a combination like this is "maybe".

RAM sold as a specific set will work.