MMO TERA Goes Free-to-Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Never heard of it. Doubt it's a big loss. Sounds like another failed MMO that figured no one was buying it, so give it away (free downloads cost them nothing) and maybe make a few bucks selling in game crap that used to be free

G

[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]Never heard of it. Doubt it's a big loss. Sounds like another failed MMO that figured no one was buying it, so give it away (free downloads cost them nothing) and maybe make a few bucks selling in game crap that used to be free[/citation]
You have no idea what you talking about, the fact that you don't know Tera says it all.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]Never heard of it. Doubt it's a big loss. Sounds like another failed MMO that figured no one was buying it, so give it away (free downloads cost them nothing) and maybe make a few bucks selling in game crap that used to be free[/citation]

the game is really awesome, this is the game i was hoping guild wars would have been.
guild wars 2 kind of has action in it. this game is an action game with and rpg too.
you CAN kill big monsters from level 1 if you got the avoiding skills unlike guildwars where you have to be at least close to the things level.

the problem is once guild wars came around and was free to play as long as you buy it, this game lost almost all momentium because it cost money per month, it was the only thing holding the game back really

with everquest 1 going free to play, and soe gimping the game to free players can effectively only play to level 65, pay 5$ players to level 75, and pay 15 a month get full game, i want to know how they gimped this game... how much fun can you have free and free alone?

if anyone knows and can tell us i would love to know, have been waiting for this to go free to play sense launch.

amkronos

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
My wife plays it, seems to like it. Funny thing is she hates F2P games, and was saying she likes Tera because it keeps those types of players out who are disruptive and whiny.

I used to play TERA, but the PvP idea behind it, kind of screw up the game for me.

I love the open world PvP for TERA, but when you play a class you know it's not good for PvP, with a non-PvP oriented build, getting your a55 served around every corner is kind of disappointing. Even more when there's a LOT of maxed lvl players and they go group hunting... Oh, the bu77 hurt, I tell you!

I moved to GW2's happy paradise and I've been a happy camper ever since.

Cheers! :p

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
It's one thing if these games are going F2P 2-3 years after release when they are really played out.

However, a lot of the MMO devs think they are being slick by trying to double pump the market. Essentially, make everyone pay for the game upfront, plus a years worth of subs, then give the game away and milk those same customers a nickel & dime at a time. Got burned by Turbine & Bioware, next time I will just wait a year after release and play it for free the first time.

This caught my attention about a year before it came out, got bored waiting/didn't get into the beta so I moved onto other things, now that it's going F2P I'll check it out. There was another one that recently went free to play that looked good, but that one required making that initial purchase, which I just won't do without a demo of some sort, some way to check out that it's kewl before I sink money into it.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]how much fun can you have free and free alone? if anyone knows and can tell us i would love to know, have been waiting for this to go free to play sense launch.[/citation]

You could go to the official page, http://tera.enmasse.com/free
It doesn't sound like SOE's approach with Everquest.

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
I don't exactly know what its going to be like in America but in the eu its going to be f2p with a subscription that gives you a slight boost and removes some limits (f2p only has 2 character slots veterans have 8 and subscription f2p have 8 - that's per server btw)
the subscription does not give much to veteran players but that's not much a problem realy

also the cash shop will be put in when it goes f2p they say all that will have in it is cosmetics and summon able shops (not really needed because there are loads of shops in the game)

edit: both appear to be doing the same sort of thing and I think I might be wrong about the subscribers getting more character slots per server it might be that extra slots are brought (there's actually no number on the comparison chart gameforge put on the website that bit has probably not been decided at all yet)

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]Each and every MMO that exists will eventually turn F2P once they can't get subscribers anymore.[/citation]

EVE Online says hello.

MMOs are going F2P because they are all the same generic themebox crap that has been seen since WoW.

TERA is no different, it's biggest enemy is the fact it was a Korean MMO. This going F2P will make people learn the meaning of pay 2 win that Korean MMOs are.

Most MMos i played i got bored of after 3 hours anyway.
Only ones that were an exception for me were guild wars and Black Prophecy (and this last one had to close its doors due to lack of cash).

I think there is too much of the same crap.
However, from free to play models, i love Tribes Ascend and i enjoy random games in need for speed world as long as some cheater doesent ruin the races.

So in general, gamign industry is not doing good work latly id say.

G

Avoid this game like the plague unless you love mindless grind and gambling for gear stats and I really do mean gambling. The game at level 60/max level requires hours of boring grind just grind for gold or enchant fodder to randomly fail to sacrifice the fodder with extremely poor success rate. That's just enchanting, wait til you try to masterwork. You can literally grind for months and see ZERO progression which is quite common while the guy next to you can hit the lotto and succeed in a couple tries. Stay away from this game at all cost.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
[citation][nom]jossrik[/nom]There was another one that recently went free to play that looked good, but that one required making that initial purchase, which I just won't do without a demo of some sort, some way to check out that it's kewl before I sink money into it.[/citation]

That would be "The Secret World", it didn't actually go F2P, it went B2P like "Guild Wars".

G

Elder Scrolls online will own ALL ;) I enjoyed tera I didnt believe it was worth a sub because every mmo within the last 10 years has just been a carbon copy of its predecessor no mater what you say, its true. The only aspect i enjoyed was the fact that i could sit on my couch and play with a controller which i can tell you i played just as well as any mouse so can it. EVERYTHING will be GOING F2P in the future, that is the direction the industry is taking, LOTRO F2P increased there sub base alot. People with a level head are most likely thinking, ok ive raided, ive done pvp and what? all they did was change the appearance? cant justify 15$ a month for something we already did and was way to easy anyhow. Ive played 70% of MMO's released just to test for myself and see or whatever and there is alot of crap out there its just like the movies coming out and everything else not made in america, they dont make things like they used to. and there imagination? there is none. And when i say raided i do mean raided every single major game u think of ive done it even ones youve never heard of, pvp meh balancing issues etc. Anyhow thats my piece. glad tera's going free so i can zone out and not have to pay for any sub par game out there, call me cheap if you want i only pay for quality. L2A

Status
Not open for further replies.