[SOLVED] Mobo Asus x470 won't boot/Green led

Jun 13, 2020
Hi. Here is my problem. My CPU was reaching 80-90 C° while idle, I decided to change the thermal paste thinking it would solve that, but now I having a problem with my Mobo. I've only touched the CPU cooler and nothing else. There's a yellow-greenish led light on meaning that is a boot problem according to my mobo's manual and I'm stuck on boot with "please press del or f2 to enter uefi bios setting" message. I've already tried to swap the RAM (2x8) in every possible way. Checked the pins on the CPU and everything is alright. There is no problem with the GPU. Tried removing the SSD and HDD and nothing. Cleared the CMOS countless times removing the battery and with the pins.

Everything is on, all the fans spinning and idk what to do. My <MOD edit : Keep the language clean> city don't have a technical assistance with AMD mobo's and CPUs so I can't test with others parts. All i can think is buying a new mobo myself just to try and see if the problem is with the CPU or the Mobo itself, but even the most basic one is very expensive in my country right now and i wish that would be my last resource. Can anybody help me? (Sorry for my English)

Config:
Mobo: Asus Rog Strix x470 - f gaming
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
RAM: Crucial ballistix sport 8gb 2666mhz
GPU: GTX 1060

Thanks! My rig with everything on

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
No, there is no way to be sure beforehand. None.

When it comes to CPU and motherboard failures, there is only ONE way to determine if they are bad and that is to replace them with a known good sample. In fact, that goes for MUCH of computer hardware. You can guess, and you can make assumptions, but knowing for sure never really happens except maybe with power supplies that you can measure output on, to some degree.
I don't understand why people constantly try to "swap the RAM". There is no "swapping" RAM. RAM gets installed ONE way, and ONE way only. If you have one DIMM, you put it in the A2 slot (DDR4_1 for some boards). If you have two DIMMs you put them in the A2 and B2 slots. (DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 for some boards, but ALWAYS the 2nd and 4th slots over from the CPU socket). If you have three DIMMs, which is not a recommended configuration anyway, but if you do, then you populate the A2 and B2 slots with the DIMMs that match, and put the oddball in the A1 slot.

There is no other way the memory should be installed on ANY consumer dual channel motherboard. Ever. If those population guidelines don't work then there is a fundamental problem with either the memory, the motherboard, the CPU or the CPU cooler has been tightened down too much in one spot and is causing issues with proper pin contact.

That's it. No other population rules are correct. So if you have them correct there is absolutely no need, ever, to "swap them around".

Did you remember to plug the CPU cooler fan back in to the motherboard, and if you did, did you make sure you plugged it into the CPU_FAN header and not the CPU_OPT header? Are you sure you plugged the RIGHT cables in for the CPU cooler, because some of those Wraith coolers have both fan and light function cables.

Right now, your memory is in the wrong locations. Move each stick over one slot to the right.

Jun 13, 2020
I don't understand why people constantly try to "swap the RAM". There is no "swapping" RAM. RAM gets installed ONE way, and ONE way only. If you have one DIMM, you put it in the A2 slot (DDR4_1 for some boards). If you have two DIMMs you put them in the A2 and B2 slots. (DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 for some boards, but ALWAYS the 2nd and 4th slots over from the CPU socket). If you have three DIMMs, which is not a recommended configuration anyway, but if you do, then you populate the A2 and B2 slots with the DIMMs that match, and put the oddball in the A1 slot.

There is no other way the memory should be installed on ANY consumer dual channel motherboard. Ever. If those population guidelines don't work then there is a fundamental problem with either the memory, the motherboard, the CPU or the CPU cooler has been tightened down too much in one spot and is causing issues with proper pin contact.

That's it. No other population rules are correct. So if you have them correct there is absolutely no need, ever, to "swap them around".

Did you remember to plug the CPU cooler fan back in to the motherboard, and if you did, did you make sure you plugged it into the CPU_FAN header and not the CPU_OPT header? Are you sure you plugged the RIGHT cables in for the CPU cooler, because some of those Wraith coolers have both fan and light function cables.

Right now, your memory is in the wrong locations. Move each stick over one slot to the right.
I've taken this photo after taking it back from the technical assistance and yes they swapped the RAM and plugged the CPU fan cable in to the CPU_OPT header. Now I've changed everything back the way it was when I gave them my PC (B2/A2 and CPU_FAN) and still won't work.

So you took the system to "technical support" and they gave it back to you not working? Sure hope you didn't pay them anything.

I understand that being in South America makes things rough for PC hardware and service.

The bottom line, I think, is that if you were reaching 80-90°C while idle, then either your CPU is cooked or your motherboard is bad and was reporting incorrect temperatures.

Jun 13, 2020
I just want to know if there's a way to be sure on what is that I have to replace. I know that the best way to be sure is to test with another mobo, but to do that i will need to buy a new one. It would be very <Mod Edit> if I buy a new mobo and the problem is the CPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, there is no way to be sure beforehand. None.

When it comes to CPU and motherboard failures, there is only ONE way to determine if they are bad and that is to replace them with a known good sample. In fact, that goes for MUCH of computer hardware. You can guess, and you can make assumptions, but knowing for sure never really happens except maybe with power supplies that you can measure output on, to some degree.

Solution