Mobo burnt chip after i changed my cpu

Sep 14, 2018
I've recently changed my old cpu (i3-6100) to a new one (i7-6700) then it wont start up, last thing i knew was it smelled burnt then i saw a small chip burning bright red inside the pc. I suspected that I failed to install the cpu cooler properly.
Now i bought a new mobo (not the same brand as my 1st), I've used my old ram sticks and the new cpu. Now it starts, but it will shut down then starts again and off for about 1sec interval aaand goes on like that w/ no display.
I've already checked how I've installed my ram, Hard drive, cpu.

Old mobo: emaxx ih110ltx
New mobo: gigabyte hh10m ds2

Need help

Ps. I've tried my old cpu (i3-6100), same issue

Solution
Possibly just got a bad CPU. If it has a dead short in it that would blow up the power circuitry quite quickly. The new board may be smartly denying power to the CPU.

At this point I would take the CPU and new motherboard to a shop and see if they are willing to test the CPU in one of their motherboards and test the motherboard with one of their CPUs. Before you spend more money on a potentially dead system.

Normally I would say try the i3-6100 in the new board as well, but you risk the board damaging it. But if you feel up to it, that would prove that the new motherboard works at least.

Neoaculus

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
This sounds like an issue with the power delivery to the cpu. First, check your connectors to motherboard and cpu power. Then check your power supply. If you smelled burning, it could have come from your power supply. You can go see what chip was burnt on the previous motherboard and then trace back to its source of electricity. Test your power supply with other hardware to make sure it works.

Sep 14, 2018

I'm on my phone and having trouble bringing up motherboard specs but my guess is the 1st motherboard doesn't support you 6700 and possibly the 2nd as well. You may also have DDR 3 ram and need to use DDR 4. Check the specs on what the motherboard supports vs what you have.

Sep 14, 2018

Sep 14, 2018

If the motherboard supports the CPU (and you have the correct BIOS version, and your RAM is supported, then I'd be very suspicious of the power supply and that it incapable of kreping up with the demand. Wattage claims on PSU's can be very misleading. What PSU do you have, and can you try a good quality one?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Possibly just got a bad CPU. If it has a dead short in it that would blow up the power circuitry quite quickly. The new board may be smartly denying power to the CPU.

At this point I would take the CPU and new motherboard to a shop and see if they are willing to test the CPU in one of their motherboards and test the motherboard with one of their CPUs. Before you spend more money on a potentially dead system.

Normally I would say try the i3-6100 in the new board as well, but you risk the board damaging it. But if you feel up to it, that would prove that the new motherboard works at least.

Solution
Sep 14, 2018
Ty for reply
I've already checked my connectors lot of times, I've also let my I.T. Friend checked it, same issue.
About my psu, I've recently bought it last month, a corsair cx650. Before this, I've been using a $13 super cheap psu w/c comes w/ the case i bought last 2 yrs. I have no problem w/ it for 2yrs.
Then last month, i bought 1060 3gb gpu. Since my old psu dont have a 6pin pcie, i decided to buy a new psu w/c is the corsair.. For a month I've been using my old cpu, mobo, ddr4 ram, new gpu and new psu.. Last day I've changed my cpu, then this happened. No burnt smell in my new psu, btw I've tried using my old psu w/ the new mobo and cpu, same issue

Sep 14, 2018

If you saw a chip 'glow red'/burn on MB, MB is now shot....finished...

The only issue remaining is, was the CPU installed/aligned correctly; as the CPU is/was unknown, I'd personally be leery of testing it in a new MB, but, it's possible the MB just chose that moment to 'give up the ghost'...

Sep 14, 2018