wsblack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
THG used to do comparisons on chipsets so there was solid information on which motherboards would work well for a given CPU or setup. Did they stop doing that?

I am trying to figure out what kind of basis I should use for buying a mobo for a Core2Duo

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
THG used to do comparisons on chipsets so there was solid information on which motherboards would work well for a given CPU or setup. Did they stop doing that?

I am trying to figure out what kind of basis I should use for buying a mobo for a Core2Duo

As far as performance between chipsets there is only very small difference in performance so what you should be basing your purchase decision on would be

1) Pricing
2) Features
3) Overclocking
4)SLi or Crossfire

Depending on what you want in your motherboard the last 3 could be switched for specific needs

depending on your price range the best Core 2 Duo board out right now imo is the Asus P5B Deluxe, it has all the features and is considered one of the best overclockers by far...

it uses the P965 chipset, the only other intel chipset available is the 975X, it was a superior chipset until new bios revisions came out for the P965 which is now the superior chipset although the 975X is by no means a slouch...

975X and 965 chipsets are crossfire capable depending on the motherboard

the nforce 4 and nforce 590 chipset SLi capable chipsets but are not worth your money, the soon to be released 680i chipset will be the future SLi chipset used

if you want to go through all the chipset you can check some of the chipset reviews at Anandtech...Mobos

just note that the older articles are not accurate due to bios revision that have been released since then that have provided superior performance for the P965 chipset

TRENDING THREADS