Jan 31, 2020
So this is my first post on here and I could really use some help! I recently built my first PC and I think I may be having a MOBO issue. First a few of the main specs: msi b450 tomahawk (not the max), Ryzen 5 2600, msi RTX 2060, trident g skill neo 16GB 3600, powered by a Corsair RM850x with an 80+ gold rating. So I built the computer and it worked perfectly for about 4 weeks then all of a sudden I go to power it on and no picture. When I turn it on I see the CPU LED light up indicating that the CPU has power, Next the VGA LED lights up and stays lit for roughly 3-4 seconds and then the boot LED. from what I can tell the computer successfully boots, all of the RGB works as well as the fans in the case/ GPU. After I tried different PCI-e slots, making sure it was plugged in correctly, and even getting a different PCI-e cable nothing worked. I ended up returning the GPU to Newegg for a replacement (per MSI’s poor customer support) and so I just installed the new one and I again have the same problem. Am I missing something? Or does it have to be the MOBO? Thank you to whoever reads this, and I apologize for the length, I’m just not sure where else to turn.

Solution
Like a previously suggested, take the motherboard out of the case and test just with the CPU, GPU , a stick of RAM and a keyboard.
When outside the case power on by shorting the power connectors (where the case power button cable was connected) with a flat screwdriver.
It appears to be stuck trying to find a bootable device.
Get into the BIOS and make sure to select the right booting order...usually Windows Boot Manager.
How many disks do you have connected to the PC?
Could you list all system components.
What's the BIOS version?

Jan 31, 2020
It appears to be stuck trying to find a bootable device.
Get into the BIOS and make sure to select the right booting order...usually Windows Boot Manager.
How many disks do you have connected to the PC?
Could you list all system components.
Forgive me for being naive about some of this, I'm still fairly new lol. How would I get into the BIOS with no display? and for a drive I have a Samsung 970 EVO SSD.
Full specs are:
Ryzen 5 2600 ( 6 core, 12 thread)
MSI RTX 2060
MSI b450 tomahawk
Trident Neo 16GB 3600
Samsung 970 EVO SSD
corsair RM850x
a cooler master AIO
NZXT h510i

And for the BIOS version, it should be completely up to date.

Jan 31, 2020
no onboard graphics. I'm also noticing now after all of this troubleshooting that when I power the system down it will occasionally power itself back on?

no onboard graphics. I'm also noticing now after all of this troubleshooting that when I power the system down it will occasionally power itself back on?
I hope there isn't a short.
Did you place standoffs on the PC case (matching the holes in motherboard) before installing the motherboard?
I would try to test the motherboard outside the case with just the CPU, GPU , a stick of RAM and a keyboard.

Jan 31, 2020
Did you place standoffs on the PC case (matching the holes in motherboard) before installing the motherboard?
Yes, standoffs came pre-installed. Not sure what the deal was with that, but it seems to have stopped. Is there any way that the gpu is too heavy for the slot and maybe deformed it a bit? It doesn't seem like too heavy duty of a card though.

Yes, standoffs came pre-installed. Not sure what the deal was with that, but it seems to have stopped. Is there any way that the gpu is too heavy for the slot and maybe deformed it a bit? It doesn't seem like too heavy duty of a card though.
If the GPU is properly secure to the case, it should not be an issue.
So is the system working at the moment?
When you reset the motherboard it might take up to 4 minutes for some motherboard to detect all hardware settings and it could restart by itself several times.
If you intervene the motherboard could get stuck.

Jan 31, 2020
I would try to test the motherboard outside the case with just the CPU, GPU , a stick of RAM and a keyboard.
I am just very confused, I consulted the manual and it says that the LED will light up and stay lit until the problem disappears. my VGA LED lights up for a few seconds then I'm fairly certain the computer boots up. It is no longer stuck looking for a boot device it seems.

Jan 31, 2020
If the GPU is properly secure to the case, it should not be an issue.
So is the system working at the moment?
When you reset the motherboard it might take up to 4 minutes for some motherboard to detect all hardware settings and it could restart by itself several times.
If you intervene the motherboard could get stuck.
As far as I can tell yes, everything is working. it turns on, RGB, fans etc. all works. But for some reason there is a VGA issue

Jan 31, 2020
I've tried a different cable, and monitor is the correct input. I am truly lost :/ and I cant find any threads/forums that have had a similar issue. The issue definitely lies in the VGA led staying lit for so long.

Like a previously suggested, take the motherboard out of the case and test just with the CPU, GPU , a stick of RAM and a keyboard.
When outside the case power on by shorting the power connectors (where the case power button cable was connected) with a flat screwdriver.

Solution