[SOLVED] Mobo lights on but fans don’t spin

Nov 21, 2020
Hi all. I’m currently trying to build a new pc to upgrade from my old one. I’ll list the specs here:

Motherboard - ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming Motherboard
CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU - GeForce GTX 1070ti Cerberus
PSU - EVGA 700BQ
RAM - Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 2x16GB 3200MHz
SSD - FORCE MP510 m.2 (or something like that either way this definitely works and isn’t the issue)

Bit of background, I tried building this yesterday but I had the exact same problem so I got Amazon to ship me a replacement motherboard (as I thought that was the cause of the problem since the fans didn’t spin when I installed my Ryzen 5 1600 CPU either). The replacement motherboard came today and the outcome is the exact same. The motherboard LEDs are on but when I use a screwdriver to bridge the power pins, the fans don’t spin and nothing happens (it doesn’t turn on with the front panel cable connected either which also isn’t faulty as I’ve checked this). Could this be a cpu problem? If so why didn’t my other cpu (which still works btw) work with the mobo yesterday?

It should be noted the power supply isn’t at fault as it works in my other rig perfectly fine. Any insight?

Solution
The Ryzen doesnt have intergrated graphics. Thats why I asked you another GPU.
Have you checked that are components are snuggly fit? 24pin for motherboard 8pin for CPU?
I would suggest you to leave bare minimum, 1 stick of ram and GPU.
Im kind of worried that ram kit isnt compatible, but motherboard should lit up the Q-Leds if it isnt.

If it still doesnt give Q-Led try to remove ram and gpu only with CPU try to start it up to see if Q-Led lights up.
Nov 21, 2020
I’m just using onboard graphics at the moment since if the cpu fans aren’t spinning I didn’t see a point (I’m pretty newbie when it comes to building so I wasn’t sure if it would make a difference).

As for the motherboard lights, are you referring to the Q LEDs? I’ve looked in the manual and located them next to the RAM slots but when I try to boot it up, none of those LEDs light up either which I found worrying.

The Ryzen doesnt have intergrated graphics. Thats why I asked you another GPU.
Have you checked that are components are snuggly fit? 24pin for motherboard 8pin for CPU?
I would suggest you to leave bare minimum, 1 stick of ram and GPU.
Im kind of worried that ram kit isnt compatible, but motherboard should lit up the Q-Leds if it isnt.

If it still doesnt give Q-Led try to remove ram and gpu only with CPU try to start it up to see if Q-Led lights up.

Solution