Question MOBO or PSU broken?

StalkinU

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
Hello folks,

2 years ago I bought some components and build myself a PC.

amd ryzen 5 2600
asrock ab350 pro4
nvidia gtx 1050ti <-- this died, was replaced with a 1660

Ballistix Sport LT LS2K8G4D30BESBK 16GB ram
Corsair VS650 650W ATX PSU

Ever since I had this setup (the 1050ti I had in my previous desktop) I had this disturbing problem.
Audio would bug out, I guess you could call it interference? I assumed this was because the wire from my speakers was damaged a bit. But asrock told me it was a driver problem so I never gave it much thought. After coming back from vacation I didn't have any problems so I figured the drivers worked. Sadly this was not the case.

The problem kept getting worse, now also disturbing the video output. So I went and got new speakers. These speakers get power from the USB port whereas the old ones needed to be connected to the power grid. However, these new speakers still need to be plugged into the green audio port from the motherboard to produce any sound.

time went by and no problems. Aside from the occasional hiccup. However, while watching youtube seemingly out of nowhere the screen froze audio was zooming as loud as it could so I cut the power. cleaned out any dust I could find inside the case and turned it back on. no video.

At this point I assumed it was a dented capacitor on the 1050ti that cause all these issues.

However, the next day I went and got a 1660, a week goes by no problems. Then the audio glitch starts happening again. And 2 days ago the video also started jittering a little bit playing vampyr. Now I do not have the cash to keep replacing GPUs.

I assume either the PSU or the MOBO is broken.
The dent in the 1050ti's capacitor was there before going into this desktop and worked perfectly fine in the old desktop.
I have tried removing the chassis fan, it is not the cause.
I have removed all old HDD's, they aren't the cause.
I have cleaned out all dust, even went as far as going into the psu. didn't solve the issue.
I made sure only the drivers from asrocks website are installed.
I replaced the cpu fan with a new one, didn't help.

To reproduce the audio glitch that is the most occurring symptom, simply make sure your speakers are powered up and then touch the plug with a finger. I only discovered I could reproduce the sound glitch this way yesterday

Last edited:
A random 650w psu??

That would always have been the first port of call.

Power quality, bad earthing,electrical interference - can all produce the effects you describe. That's a decent system component wise, the psu is the exception.

Replace it, it's not worth the risk to the rest of your system.

StalkinU

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
A random 650w psu??

That would always have been the first port of call.

Power quality, bad earthing,electrical interference - can all produce the effects you describe. That's a decent system component wise, the psu is the exception.

Replace it, it's not worth the risk to the rest of your system.
Managed to find out what I got, Corsair VS650 650W ATX PSU. I'll update post and keep your suggestion in mind.