mobo with no onboard graphics, gfx card needs driver installation

mangaman07

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
hello this is my first post and i'm building my first pc, my motherboard is an asus p8p67
it has no onboard grapghics or vga dvi or hdmi or anything.

the dilemma is that i am trying to run Ubuntu until i can afford windows 7 so I've built it with an xfx hd 6670 2GB and it will switch on but there is no picture on the screen, im looking at a way to solve this that will cost me the least money im only 13 and dont have hundreds to spend please help if possible :)

Solution
You don't need a gfx driver to get a display from a gfx card. It should produce a picture upon boot if the card is OK. And the MB. Does the card produce any display at all? Is your monitor set for the HDMI/DVI/VGA that you are using from the card?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You don't need a gfx driver to get a display from a gfx card. It should produce a picture upon boot if the card is OK. And the MB. Does the card produce any display at all? Is your monitor set for the HDMI/DVI/VGA that you are using from the card?

Solution

mangaman07

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

thankyou, i guess its just a problem with my MB or Gfx card

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have the card in the first PCIe X16 slot? The slot closest to the CPU? Be sure that it is firmly in the slot and that the latch at the end of the slot is securing the card. When you insert the card, the latch should flip up to hold it in place. (Then you have yo press down on the thumb tabs to release the card for removal)

mangaman07

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

i just checked the no video output checklist and it turns out that i didn't have the cable that powers the CPU in :(
it is an 8 pin socket and my psu only has 4 pin and 6 pin cables are some for the graphics card and others for the cpu?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Wait! What? You don't have the CPU header powered!? Yes, the 4 pin CPU power cable will work. The header will take either 4 or 4+4. It should go into either end of the header with the plug's clip facing the header's lip. Just don't mix it up with the 6 pin PCIe aux cable for the Gfx card.