[SOLVED] moca and coax questions

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I am considering getting a moca adapater so I can hook my upstairs computer up to the internet via ethernet. Cable modem is downstairs on the other side of the house.

My one concern is the following: though we have coax cables throughout the house, we used used to be able to move the cable modem around anywhere in the house, hook it up to a cable and it would work. Last time the cable company came they did something, and now the modem will only work when connected to the one cable where it is now.

I don't know exactly what this means - did they deactivate the other cables somehow? Will the moca still work if attached to one of those cables?

Thanks for your help!

Solution
Are you sure they did not remove a splitter. Could have been before all the cables in the house were connected to a splitter and the cable from outside also hooked to the splitter. They may have changed things so the cable modem directly hooks to the cable going outside.

In any case in some ways it is better to not have any splitters. Having unused cables can degrade the signals....but it tends to not be a problem most times so most people leave everything connected by unused.

As long as you can find a coax cable that runs between the upstairs and someplace near the modem you will have no issues using moca. It might even run better without anything else connected to the cable.

If you must reconnect the modem to some kind of...
Are you sure they did not remove a splitter. Could have been before all the cables in the house were connected to a splitter and the cable from outside also hooked to the splitter. They may have changed things so the cable modem directly hooks to the cable going outside.

In any case in some ways it is better to not have any splitters. Having unused cables can degrade the signals....but it tends to not be a problem most times so most people leave everything connected by unused.

As long as you can find a coax cable that runs between the upstairs and someplace near the modem you will have no issues using moca. It might even run better without anything else connected to the cable.

If you must reconnect the modem to some kind of splitter so you can use moca be careful to follow the diagrams they show. You many times need a filter to prevent the moca from interfering with the cable signal or at the very minimum leaving your house.

Solution