[SOLVED] Moca struggles to get above 3Mpbs upload while having 700-900 download

jackjedired

Reputable
Nov 2, 2018
I've been extremely happy with the result of switching to MOCA, since my download speeds are much faster and more stable. There's no TVs on the coax network since we use YouTube TV, but for some reason my upload from it is just so much slower than my download speed. It's not my provider because even on my phone with wifi, it gets about 100 up 100 down.

I would try the pc directly conencted to the router with a ethernet cable. If you can run a long one over the floor or maybe move your pc temporarily.

Now I maybe wrong but moca is half duplex so the moca network itself should be running at the correct speed. It would be more likely for some reason your pc is not sending data into the network at the proper rate.

Moca has almost nothing you can change or set so there is not much you can do with the moca anyway so it would be much better if it was a issue with your pc.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
There are a varierty of things in moca you need to know like which band are you using, do you use the coax for your isp to provide i ternet and which band are you required to avoid their signals (even if you are not using them 2 waves at the same frequency = bad for both of you), you need to determine the band you should be using and what filter is required, if any, for you to use that band with your isp. MOST cable companies you will want to be using the D band as everything else has their modem, emta, or cable tv signals interfering with your moca signals. I recommend the moca filter because of things like beats that happen on coax and can be reduced by a filter preventing your moca signal from hitting their eq.

jackjedired

Reputable
Nov 2, 2018
I would try the pc directly conencted to the router with a ethernet cable. If you can run a long one over the floor or maybe move your pc temporarily.

Now I maybe wrong but moca is half duplex so the moca network itself should be running at the correct speed. It would be more likely for some reason your pc is not sending data into the network at the proper rate.

Moca has almost nothing you can change or set so there is not much you can do with the moca anyway so it would be much better if it was a issue with your pc.
Ok, do you have suggestions on how to fix the upload speed from my PC? Like how to double check the rate that it's uploading at?

kanewolf

Titan
Ok, do you have suggestions on how to fix the upload speed from my PC? Like how to double check the rate that it's uploading at?
Is it possible there is a splitter somewhere in the chain that is not MOCA compatible. Older splitters would be optimized for one way signal. That could impact your upload.
Maybe try running a coax across the floor between the two adapters. See if you still have the problem.

jackjedired

Reputable
Nov 2, 2018
Is it possible there is a splitter somewhere in the chain that is not MOCA compatible. Older splitters would be optimized for one way signal. That could impact your upload.
Maybe try running a coax across the floor between the two adapters. See if you still have the problem.
The cables are new since the house is new (at least i'm assuming) and I went with moca since my WiFi was bad at such a big distance. Could the distance also be the problem?

jackjedired

Reputable
Nov 2, 2018
There are a varierty of things in moca you need to know like which band are you using, do you use the coax for your isp to provide i ternet and which band are you required to avoid their signals (even if you are not using them 2 waves at the same frequency = bad for both of you), you need to determine the band you should be using and what filter is required, if any, for you to use that band with your isp. MOST cable companies you will want to be using the D band as everything else has their modem, emta, or cable tv signals interfering with your moca signals. I recommend the moca filter because of things like beats that happen on coax and can be reduced by a filter preventing your moca signal from hitting their eq.
Okay, so get a moca filter that uses a different band should help?

The moca filter goes between your house and ISP it should not be between the 2 moca units. I still think this is a pc issue have you tested it with a real ethernet cable to router to be sure it is the moca network.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Okay, so get a moca filter that uses a different band should help?

No the moca devices should control the band [usually a software setting of switch on the device] but you do need a filter that covers that band typically in a "I use comcast,/charter/rogers environment" they run up to 1ghz or plan to, so you use the D band which is like 1002 Mhz and above them but you cannot be feeding it to their plant, so the filter is applied to the ground block or first splitter to prevent that also supposed to help reflect signal back to you and improve your moca but I have never seen that actually happen.

However, if you are getting the same speed directly out of the modem, like bill is talking about you have a problem before the Moca. Do you know what your upload speed actually is, I know the company I work for has an old package that ended up being 1G down and 5 Mb up, which is just illogical but its there, you may need to verify the sold speed for your package.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackjedired

jackjedired

Reputable
Nov 2, 2018
No the moca devices should control the band [usually a software setting of switch on the device] but you do need a filter that covers that band typically in a "I use comcast,/charter/rogers environment" they run up to 1ghz or plan to, so you use the D band which is like 1002 Mhz and above them but you cannot be feeding it to their plant, so the filter is applied to the ground block or first splitter to prevent that also supposed to help reflect signal back to you and improve your moca but I have never seen that actually happen.

However, if you are getting the same speed directly out of the modem, like bill is talking about you have a problem before the Moca. Do you know what your upload speed actually is, I know the company I work for has an old package that ended up being 1G down and 5 Mb up, which is just illogical but its there, you may need to verify the sold speed for your package.
Got it. But yeah on my phone I get over 100 anywhere in the house on wifi. So it is a plan that is equal up and down but just not through the moca for some reason (or my pc rather)

jackjedired

Reputable
Nov 2, 2018
So, I just took my PC and connected one moca directly to the one connected to the router (to see if it was something with the cables somewhere in my house. That came with the same result. I then tried ethernet from my router to my PC and got the same result. And finally, I tried a filter for it to really make sure and that didn't change it either. So I've narrowed it down to my PC. I don't know why it's just not sending signals correctly but I need it to be a higher upload. I use Windows 11 by the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

jackjedired

Reputable
Nov 2, 2018
ONE thread per top

You have NEVER answered if you tried a point-to-point coax connection between your two nodes to eliminate the in-wall wiring.
Or tried a long ethernet cable to eliminate the MOCA completely.
I did in my update. And got it, one thread per topic

jackjedired

Reputable
Nov 2, 2018
Your testing suggests that MOCA nothing to do with this, since an ethernet also has the same performance.
Exactly. Just trying to figure out why my PC won't send the right signals like I said in my update. But I still have no idea what it could be since I'm very bad at dealing with networking issues.

kanewolf

Titan
Exactly. Just trying to figure out why my PC won't send the right signals like I said in my update. But I still have no idea what it could be since I'm very bad at dealing with networking issues.
You need to boot a USB linux. It is probably a Win 11 issue, but to determine that you need a different OS.

What motherboard do you have?

jackjedired

Reputable
Nov 2, 2018
You need to boot a USB linux. It is probably a Win 11 issue, but to determine that you need a different OS.

What motherboard do you have?
I actually found a solution on Microsoft. Here's what I followed, but it worked for me idk if it would work in all situations like this: Go to Start->Control Panel->Device Manager->Network adapters->Your adapters name (mine is Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20), right-click then select Properties. On the Advance tab, find property Large Send Offload (IPv4) and change its value to Disabled then click OK.

kanewolf

Titan
I actually found a solution on Microsoft. Here's what I followed, but it worked for me idk if it would work in all situations like this: Go to Start->Control Panel->Device Manager->Network adapters->Your adapters name (mine is Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20), right-click then select Properties. On the Advance tab, find property Large Send Offload (IPv4) and change its value to Disabled then click OK.
Based on that hardware, you are running a configuration that is not intended for Windows 11. Also, even the description "Fast Ethernet Controller" says that you are limited to 100Mbit.