This may not be the NG for this but occasionally my modem goes offline for a
reason which I haven't determined. The only way I know to get it back on
line again is to close and restart the computer, and then I can redial.
Otherwise, I can't.

I feel there must be some way of re-setting the modem without having to
close down and open up again. Is there?

Rob Graham

Hi,

Have you reinstalled/updated the modem driver yet? Not from Windows Update,
but from the manufacturer.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> Hi,
>
> Have you reinstalled/updated the modem driver yet? Not from Windows
> Update, but from the manufacturer.

No I haven't. Good idea.

Rob

> Hi,
>
> Have you reinstalled/updated the modem driver yet? Not from Windows
> Update, but from the manufacturer.

I've now done this and the first time I tried to dial, the modem failed,
saying 'no dial tone' - which is the message I usually get, and then have to
reboot the computer to reset the modem. It always works after a reboot. So I
come back to my original question, is there a way of resetting the modem
without a reboot?

Rob

Hi,

No, but I suspect you may have a hardware issue (meaning you will need to
replace the modem).

--

>> Hi,
>>
>> Have you reinstalled/updated the modem driver yet? Not from Windows
>> Update, but from the manufacturer.
>>

> I've now done this and the first time I tried to dial, the modem failed,
> saying 'no dial tone' - which is the message I usually get, and then have
> to reboot the computer to reset the modem. It always works after a reboot.
> So I come back to my original question, is there a way of resetting the
> modem without a reboot?
>
> Rob

Without knowing what modem and it capabilities, You could try send "ATZ"
to it from inside Hyperterminal.

Rob graham wrote:

>>Hi,
>>
>>Have you reinstalled/updated the modem driver yet? Not from Windows
>>Update, but from the manufacturer.
>>

> I've now done this and the first time I tried to dial, the modem failed,
> saying 'no dial tone' - which is the message I usually get, and then have to
> reboot the computer to reset the modem. It always works after a reboot. So I
> come back to my original question, is there a way of resetting the modem
> without a reboot?
>
> Rob

Hope that sorts it for you.