Question Modem Placement

Dec 15, 2022
I'm looking for anyone with concrete knowledge of real world, NOT theoretical, problems with my planned modem placement.

Modem is a Motorola MB8611. The plan is to place it inside a Legrand OnQ wall box in the studded bay directly next to my breaker box. 3' weatherproof quad shielded rg6 coax will come inside from the outside Spectrum junction box into the OnQ box and directly attach to the modem. The modem itself will be 6 inches away from the breaker box metal case and separated by a 2" ( nominal ) stud; 1 and 1/2 actual thickness.
From the modem, Cat7a Ethernet cabling will run 18 inches below the breaker box approx. 15-18 feet horizontally to a rack router on the other side of the basement room.

I'm using shielded coax and Ethernet to minimize interference. All networking will be properly shielded. My thinking is keep the coax short and the Ethernet will carry the longer distance for less loss. Other than close proximity of the breaker box and modem, all cable distance tolerances will be adhered to, concerning 120v Romex runs near Ethernet.

So again, does anyone see any real world issue with my setup?

Help is appreciated. I hope I've given a concise view of materials and plan.

Latest posts