[SOLVED] Modem router

duduplo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
my modem is capped at 700m mbps. I have a plan of 1000mbps. Can i buy a seperate router that can support 1gig speeds and run 1 gig with an ethernet cord connected to the router? Im thinking that if my modem is capped, then my router will be capped because it is connected to it. Someone, help!

edit: I have a modem router sorry!

Last edited:
Solution
You will need a new modem if you want to get your advertised speeds from your ISP. A DOCSIS 3.0 device will cap out at 1.4 gb/s. It's better to get a DOCSIS 3.1 device for speeds over 1 gb/s. Your ISP should have a list of modems that would achieve this or provide one for purchase/rent.

Simply replacing the router won't do anything for internet speeds.
Personally, I use an Arris Surfboard SB8200 and a separate router.
my modem is capped at 700m mbps. I have a plan of 1000mbps. Can i buy a seperate router that can support 1gig speeds and run 1 gig with an ethernet cord connected to the router? Im thinking that if my modem is capped, then my router will be capped because it is connected to it. Someone, help!
You can have a separate router connected to your modem just fine. All of your external data will come in at the capped speed of your modem, but anything internal will be at WiFi or Ethernet speeds. Why don't you get a modem that can handle the 1Gbps?

duduplo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
Will have to be at least a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to get 700Mbps. My guess is that it will be a 16x8 or 24x8 which will limit it to 700Mbps. If it were a 32x8 modem then it could do 1.4Gbps.
So could i add on a router (which is cheaper) or do i have to buy a whole different modem router for 200+

So could i add on a router (which is cheaper) or do i have to buy a whole different modem router for 200+
The modem only matters for your speeds connecting to the internet. Everything inside your private network will be dictated by your WiFi connection speeds and Ethernet connections. For example you want to transfer a file between 2 computers on your network connected via 1GbE, they will transfer at the 1Gb speeds. You want to download a driver from nVidia and your computer is connected to the router at 1Gb speed but your modem is only 700Mbps, you will only be able to download at 700Mbps regardless of the speed your computer has to the router.

duduplo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020

duduplo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
You can have a separate router connected to your modem just fine. All of your external data will come in at the capped speed of your modem, but anything internal will be at WiFi or Ethernet speeds. Why don't you get a modem that can handle the 1Gbps?
Wait so the ethernet speed of the router connected to the modem, can surpass the capped speed of the modem?

duduplo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
The modem only matters for your speeds connecting to the internet. Everything inside your private network will be dictated by your WiFi connection speeds and Ethernet connections. For example you want to transfer a file between 2 computers on your network connected via 1GbE, they will transfer at the 1Gb speeds. You want to download a driver from nVidia and your computer is connected to the router at 1Gb speed but your modem is only 700Mbps, you will only be able to download at 700Mbps regardless of the speed your computer has to the router.
[/QU
What's your modem? Sounds like a DOCSIS 3.0.
Yes i have a modem router DOCSIS 3.0

so if i buy a router will the ethernet speeds surpass the capped speeds of the modem router?
Only on your private LAN is that possible. Meaning connecting between devices inside your house. Any internet traffic will still be limited by the 700Mbps cap on your modem.
im using a netger nighthawk modem router
That is the reason why I don't like combo devices. In theory you can buy a separate modem that will allow for Gbps Internet speeds and connect it to your current router and disable the modem on the combo device. I have never done that though. Typically I have gone from the combo device provided by the ISP to a standalone WiFi router.

duduplo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
No i am using a modem router
Only on your private LAN is that possible. Meaning connecting between devices inside your house. Any internet traffic will still be limited by the 700Mbps cap on your modem.

That is the reason why I don't like combo devices. In theory you can buy a separate modem that will allow for Gbps Internet speeds and connect it to your current router and disable the modem on the combo device. I have never done that though. Typically I have gone from the combo device provided by the ISP to a standalone WiFi router.
So could i buy a router to get max speeds on ethernet or should i buy a new modem router combo to get full speeds? (modem router is expensive)