Question Modem turn off every night

aliaksandr92

Commendable
Sep 9, 2019
Maybe little bit classical question but i really wonder and can not find any clear answer about that.I have one vdsl modem and turn off it all night because i think this is best for modem.The less used product has a longer lifespan i think.But some people dont think like that.I really wonder what is right?

kanewolf

Titan
Maybe little bit classical question but i really wonder and can not find any clear answer about that.I have one vdsl modem and turn off it all night because i think this is best for modem.The less used product has a longer lifespan i think.But some people dont think like that.I really wonder what is right?
Every time you turn ON something electronic, there is a probability it will fail. Rule of thumb for a PC was the risk of leaving it on was only balanced if you left it off for at least 8 hours. Personally, I wouldn't power off my internet at night because too many things do software updates in the middle of the night.

Reactions: aliaksandr92

USAFRet

Titan
How old is "old"?

3 schools of thought:
  1. Off time is OFF. Not contributing to lifespan decrease.
  2. Powering on and off all the time stresses the circuitry, and may lead to premature fail.
  3. It does not matter for your specific device. Yours may die tomorrow, and an identical one in your neighbors house may last for a decade running 24/7.
I subscribe to #3.

Reactions: aliaksandr92

aliaksandr92

Commendable
Sep 9, 2019
How old is "old"?

3 schools of thought:
  1. Off time is OFF. Not contributing to lifespan decrease.
  2. Powering on and off all the time stresses the circuitry, and may lead to premature fail.
  3. It does not matter for your specific device. Yours may die tomorrow, and an identical one in your neighbors house may last for a decade running 24/7.
I subscribe to #3.
shortly bad to turn it off every night?