[SOLVED] Modular PSU replacement cables? (Fractal Design Newton R3)

May 18, 2021
Good Day all!

Can someone help me to figure out how to get replacement cables for my PSU?

I have lost all the modular cables for my "Fractal Design Newton R3" model: NT3B
I know that I cant just get any old modular cables as some are wired differently and could cause serious problems.
Ebay doesn't seem to have what I am looking for and have only found one international website that offers these cables individually as custom made.

Is there a way to find out what the configuration is for my specific PSU and then I could use that to either match another PSU or just make my own cables?
I have checked the manufacturers manual and there is nothing specific enough online.
I emailed Fractal and they told me there are no aftermarket modular cables that match their own PIN configuration, (I doubt that), and they are sorry for the inconvenience.

Alternatively if someone has the same PSU could they take a photo or diagram their pins for me please? :D

C00kie

🍪

Solution
Good Day all!

I have lost all the modular cables for my "Fractal Design Newton R3" model: NT3B
I know that I cant just get any old modular cables as some are wired differently and could cause serious problems.
Ebay doesn't seem to have what I am looking for and have only found one international website that offers these cables individually as custom made.

Is there a way to find out what the configuration is for my specific PSU and then I could use that to either match another PSU or just make my own cables?
I have checked the manufacturers manual and there is nothing specific enough online.
I emailed Fractal and they told me there are no aftermarket...
"Is there a way to find out what the configuration is for my specific PSU and then I could use that to either match another PSU or just make my own cables? "

If you can't get a diagram...and you know how to use a multimeter in voltage mode...you could find out this way.

Good Day all!

I emailed Fractal and they told me there are no aftermarket modular cables that match their own PIN configuration, (I doubt that), and they are sorry for the inconvenience.

Alternatively if someone has the same PSU could they take a photo or diagram their pins for me please? :D

C00kie

🍪
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but the Newton R3 series are 8-9 years old now, although I'm unsure how long you've been using yours. You may be better off replacing it than spending money to keep an older PSU going. Custom cables, if you can find them, are probably going to be close to half the cost or more of a new PSU, that would have a newer platform and full warranty.

Solution

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
I suggest you to just recycle the thing, it's very old and wasn't particularly good back then to start with. Mixed it with the another model, this one is fine, but it's still old ...

Last edited:
Reactions: C00kie
May 18, 2021
"Is there a way to find out what the configuration is for my specific PSU and then I could use that to either match another PSU or just make my own cables? "

If you can't get a diagram...and you know how to use a multimeter in voltage mode...you could find out this way.
Not a bad idea. I don't have a lot of experience with one but could give it a shot

May 18, 2021
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but the Newton R3 series are 8-9 years old now, although I'm unsure how long you've been using yours. You may be better off replacing it than spending money to keep an older PSU going. Custom cables, if you can find them, are probably going to be close to half the cost or more of a new PSU, that would have a newer platform and full warranty.
I just had it as a spare in storage and wanted to use it on a weak system I had in the garage and then steam link it to the lounge TV. Its quite overkill so may be worth just getting a replacement. Last thing I want is for the garage to catch on fire :unsure:

TRENDING THREADS