Molars first night of building

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Molar

Distinguished
May 5, 2001
Well got windows XP pro installed with SP2. I tried to get to get most of the drivers onto my computer as well. Temp. was anywhere between 39C-23C. My case has two different sensors one is by my CPU and the other is the hdd. The 39-33 were around my CPU while my hdd stayed close to 25-23c. I really need to straighten up my wiring and I think with that the temps may drop due to better air flow.

One thing that happened was it would not shutdown right away and I had to click on shutdown several times before it would. One time I receieved an error, which I was completely lost on, that stated it will shut down my computer and restart it. Since then no problems but we will see.

Any way to shorten the boot process because not only does my mobo boot up and go through the raid setup(which I did not use) it seems like it take a long time.

I have a plextor SATA DVD drive but when connected it showed it as a SATA 66. I have not look at the manual but is that normal, I guess speed?

Over all great time and fun to watch it take shape.I will try to benchmark my rig for the first time and will let you all know the results.

Thanks for all the help and I wont comment on our saying for you med students :].

Molar<-----Wanna be Doc folding proteins

Molar

Distinguished
May 5, 2001
Where can I download some benchmarking programs other than
www.Aquamark3.com?

Thanks and if your not folding your laundry at least fold some proteins!

Molar<---Folding protein because my wife folds my cloths

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
Ned i have to say shes a beauty, look at the gurth of those pipes WOW its HUGE. (wink wink)

what water cooling you running i need some?

My 6800 on standard cooling never goes above 59C even when OC to the top, idle its about 46C after being cleaned its 40C.

the MX series is fckin great mouse i have the mx510 with the arty farty graphics and marble effect had it over a year now no problems possibly the best computer related product i have ever brought, its been droped enough times its got super build quality.

<font color=purple> MY FINGER IS ON THE BUTTON! </font color=purple>

RichPLS

Champion
If your not using RAID, you can disable it in your BIOS so it won't look for those devices during boot. Also, probally several other BIOS tweaks could streamliine boot as well.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
<A HREF="http:///www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/b_e.html" target="_new">http:///www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/b_e.html</A> Anything and everything that you could possibly want.

I would pay close attention to that issue about not shutting down correctly. That could signal signs of problems with the OS install.

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>@4.2 posted 4.8</font color=red>
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@<font color=red>DDR2 780</font color=red>
ATI Radeon X800XL <font color=red>459/609</font color=red>
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Go to an auto parts store and get a bottle of WIX- WixCool cooling system treatment part #24056. It will be a strawberry color. That stuff is great. It will hold your temps about 5C lower on average. JUst add some to your water.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

Hey dude, thanks!

Wow, what cooling you got on the 6800?!

(I have a crappy o/c 380/820) and mine idles @ 47 - Full load is 48/49

The CPU is always @ full load @ 39-45 depending on room temp

Currently I've only got 1*120mm radiator in there, I think that is holding me back temperature wise as the water is actually warm!

Yeah, as Mozz said, sort out that shutdown problem. I think it could be driver related though - you got the latest ones for everything?

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
My 6800 has the standard cooler. looks like a Arctic Cooling Rev.2 nVidia 5 (6800 Series) VGA Silencer.

works great, even when OC 390/802.

Did you build the water cooling system urself and was it a kit? and which manufacterer would you recomend me to get?

<font color=purple> MY FINGER IS ON THE BUTTON! </font color=purple>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
bring sunscreen its hot in there

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

G

damn, you always have the edge... :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

RichPLS

Champion
Skin cancer kills all races. Sunscreen is recommended.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Hes got a point :lol:

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

Molar: What happened to posting some benchmarks?! You getting lazy on us? Fixing too many cavities?

Molar

Distinguished
May 5, 2001
LOL Yes I have been drilling and filling to much! Well I have ran only one BM and that was on Aqua3. Total score was 73,???. Have not looked to see how that score relates to other computers similar to mine. I have solved most of the problems and everything is going great so far.

I will get more time in the next couple of weeks but a new baby takes the Puter time away!

Thanks for all the help.

Molar

Are you saying that he needs to be 'fixed' to prevent anymore baby issues keeping him from the computer...? :evil:

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
LMAO at the new sig :lol:

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

Of course I agree! Friggin things just get in the way of good ole computing fun! :evil: