[SOLVED] (Molex > 6-pin) + regular 6-pin > 8-pin power connector? Is this safer than just a 6-pin > 8-pin? GTX 1660 Super

chapig_396

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
My first post on the forum, so please let me know if I've done anything wrong.
My friend has offered me a GTX 1660 Super for a very low price to replace my current GTX 1060. The 1060 only requires one 6-pin connector so no worries there. However, 1660's need an 8-pin.

I know people have used 6-pin to 8-pin and gotten away with it, but I was wondering if this config would be safer:
Molex 4-pin>6-pin----- 2x6-pin> 8-pin
6 -pin-------------------┘
IF Molex can provide 54w (?) and 6-pin can provide 75w plus the 75w from the PCIe so 204watts total, (1660s has a 125w TDP) compared to 150w from only using one 6-pin to 8-pin.
Would that extra 54w be worth all the additional cables? Am I better off using just a plain old 6-pin to 8-pin adapter?

My PSU is a dell 525watt from a T3500. My CPU is a Xeon x5675.

Any questions please ask,
chapig_396

Solution
Too many adapters here though, one dual 4-pin to 6-pin is bad enough, but then to adapt that into another dual 6-pin to 8-pin adapter, not a good idea.

Yeah... that's why the idea... of going 6 to 8 pin straight is better (not proper).
Way too much adapters ... more path for the voltage to drop!
Also longer unlabeled uninspected cables (adapters)... more resistance (less voltage) from crappy and not quality metal (copper).
The peak I could find is 129W .... still in the specs of 6 pin + PCI-E Slot (75W+75W)... but yes...I didn't add up.... different brands can clock their cards differently so.... it can go a lot higher for different manufacturer.
Hi and Welcome!
Usually I would recommend
2x 4-pin > 6pin
6pin + 6pin > 8 pin
But 1660S is not power hungry card I think it doesn't even need an 8 pin.
You should be fine with 6pin to 8 pin... just buy the most quality adapter you can find!

The difference in the TDP between 1060 and 1660S is 5W in TDP...
The problematic point really is the adaptors itself they are always a hazard.... because no one can guarantee ... that they wont melt...
But yeah 8 pin for 5W more is weird decision from Nvidia...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They are listing the common TDP, there will be some temporary loads that exceed that and non-reference cards may have BIOS that allow for more power.

Too many adapters here though, one dual 4-pin to 6-pin is bad enough, but then to adapt that into another dual 6-pin to 8-pin adapter, not a good idea.

Certainly worth getting an $80 PSU to protect your currently valued $250-300 card.

Yeah... that's why the idea... of going 6 to 8 pin straight is better (not proper).
Way too much adapters ... more path for the voltage to drop!
Also longer unlabeled uninspected cables (adapters)... more resistance (less voltage) from crappy and not quality metal (copper).
The peak I could find is 129W .... still in the specs of 6 pin + PCI-E Slot (75W+75W)... but yes...I didn't add up.... different brands can clock their cards differently so.... it can go a lot higher for different manufacturer.

Solution

chapig_396

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
Thanks for the responses,
I'm going to get a new PSU with my new PC build as my current PSU is proprietary I believe.
I will have to use an adapter temporarily, so if I underclock the GPU, I should (hopefully) not encounter issues here.
chapig_396