Question Molex to PCIE

Mar 22, 2019
So my brother was building a pc and ordered a 500w psu (didnt have too big of a budget for psu) from Amazon and had a gtx 1060 6gb gaming x. The psu doesn't have a 6 pin pcie cable and I was wondering if it would be safe to use an adapter from 2x4 Molex pins to 6 pin pcie. And also if there are any hazards, I'm only learning about component compatibility so I'm not too sure about stuff.

PSU: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Powe...ocphy=9046086&hvtargid=pla-306844248920&psc=1

bignastyid

Titan
Do you think there could be a cheaper one found, my brother could spend up to £40.
No, that's the cheapest unit i found on PCpartpicker that I would recommend for that setup. The PSU is a crucial component and a very bad place to skimp, it's the one part that can kill the all the others.

I have an corsair vs550W what do you think abt it?

The VS series is one of the worst PSUs Corsair slapped their name on(right next to the older CX units) and are currently not available in the UK(where to OP is) anyway. Just because you haven't had a problem yet doesn't make it a good unit.

Reactions: NoMercyBeAst

NoMercyBeAst

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
No, that's the cheapest unit i found on PCpartpicker that I would recommend for that setup. The PSU is a crucial component and a very bad place to skimp, it's the one part that can kill the all the others.

The VS series is one of the worst PSUs Corsair slapped their name on(right next to the older CX units) and are currently not available in the UK(where to OP is) anyway. Just because you haven't had a problem yet doesn't make it a good unit.
Ok was just curious.
I think i need to change psu also :/

Mar 22, 2019

What Do you think of this one? It seems decent and the reviews say it works okay foe the 1060. My bother won't need anything too crazy as long as it doesn't catch on fire it should be good.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerocool-I...p_s_a_1_18?qid=1553571795&s=computers&sr=1-18

bignastyid

Titan
Ok was just curious.
I think i need to change psu also :/

Could be worse. While the VS isn't good atleast it's not total garbage and not a known system killer. There are much worse units available for some other "name brand" companies.

What Do you think of this one? It seems decent and the reviews say it works okay foe the 1060. My bother won't need anything too crazy as long as it doesn't catch on fire it should be good.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerocool-I...p_s_a_1_18?qid=1553571795&s=computers&sr=1-18

Garbage, most Aerocool units are made by Andyson whom has one of the worst reputations in the PSU manufacturing business, just barely above cheap generics. They have some HEC units that are better but not by much and still not recommended. BTW user reviews on places like amazon are next to worthless.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ow. NO! Eww for the most part, Aerocool couldn't put it's name on a decent psu if it was paid too.

Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£48.48 @ Amazon UK)

That's the absolute cheapest ½way decent psu on the UK market that'll power a gtx1060. There's nothing cheaper that comes close.

If it happens to be the exact same unit as a prior post by a certain mod, there's a very good reason why.. Just saying.