Question Mom's new pc.

Sep 16, 2024
I just built my 89 y/o mother a new win10 pc, she has been running a win7 pc and getting viruses every week. That being I have several questions.
1) Is there an easy way to port over her website passwords or will I have to do that manually?
2) I use malwarebytes on my pc would that be appropriate for her?
3) Can I set it up so I can remote in if something happens so I can fix it from home?
Thank for any advice.
Molchmeister

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
1) Is there an easy way to port over her website passwords or will I have to do that manually?
2) I use malwarebytes on my pc would that be appropriate for her?
3) Can I set it up so I can remote in if something happens so I can fix it from home?
1. No. Do it manually
2. Win10 Built-in AntiVirus is good enough
3. AnyDesk, free.

I would suggest Open Shell Menu for easier Windows 7 to 10 GUI transition.

Last edited:
Reactions: emitfudd and Gururu
Sep 16, 2024
What is she using the pc for? maybe she don't need a pc
She uses it for facebook, to download/print crochet patterns, online banking, and to communicate with her doctors. I have converted her apartment to a smart home, everything is controlled by alexa. She just has bad judgement when she gets those you have won emails.

Ralston18

Titan
As for those "you have won" emails - set up her email account to accept emails only from senders in her contact list (family, friends, doctors).

Non-contact emails can be directed to a junk folder.

You will need to check the junk folder from time to time for valid emails: i.e., some allowed sender who changed their email address.

Not a perfect solution but may save some grief later on.

cAllen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
W10 or W11 depends on your hardware choice...but W10 has offered another 5 years support...for a cost. The "New" Defender is not the save all many think it is...especially for those not tech savvy like older parents. In addition to Ralston18's advise, keep Malwarebytes (active version) and monitor Mom's box...at minimum.

I know first hand my elderly Mother-in-law requires this "extra" attention due to similar activity and knowledge. You might also look into Teamviewer for remote access and clean-up if she lives distant from you.

Last edited: