Question Monitor and Computer are confusing me

Jan 5, 2021
So, basically, I built my first computer a week ago, over call with some friends who knew what to do. My monitor, while displaying what my laptop shows, will have trouble displaying my computer. Currently it's in back light mode, whatever that means, and sometimes it's gone so far as saying no signal, despite working itself, along with the cords. The time frame it'll display both the bios and the windows installation screen has ranged from a millisecond all the way to a full minute. Nobody I have asked knows the answer. All the parts are compatible, I've checked in every possible way, which includes asking over 10 people. There's nothing on the CPU, the RAM is in the right spots, the power cables go to the right places and it's plugged into my video card, not the motherboard. I've been troubleshooting for over a week. Please, help me.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC Rev 2.0 Video Card
EVGA BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

I'm not sure the monitor, but it's a Sceptre(bought it from walmart) Monitor, I believe over 144HZ. It has 3 HDMIs and a Displayport, all of which prove the same issue, which points me towards my PC.

Last edited:
So, basically, I built my first computer a week ago, over call with some friends who knew what to do. My monitor, while displaying what my laptop shows, will have trouble displaying my computer. Currently it's in back light mode, whatever that means, and sometimes it's gone so far as saying no signal, despite working itself, along with the cords. The time frame it'll display both the bios and the windows installation screen has ranged from a millisecond all the way to a full minute. Nobody I have asked knows the answer. All the parts are compatible, I've checked in every possible way, which includes asking over 10 people. There's nothing on the CPU, the RAM is in the right spots, the power cables go to the right places and it's plugged into my video card, not the motherboard. I've been troubleshooting for over a week. Please, help me.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC Rev 2.0 Video Card
EVGA BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

I'm not sure the monitor, but it's a Sceptre(bought it from walmart) Monitor, I believe over 144HZ. It has 3 HDMIs and a Displayport, all of which prove the same issue, which points me towards my PC.
Barring some DOA part,something must be wrong with the way PC was assembled, maybe you should go over it once again preferably by breadboarding it, Backlight mode would mean that monitor turns on but gets no or wrong video signal. OSD on monitor should still work though so you could try different modes, reset it or Auto mode. Setting it on it's default resolution and 6Hz refresh ma help wit initial setup. If you could try with some ordinary monitor or TV could help with part of troubleshooting.

Jan 5, 2021
Barring some DOA part,something must be wrong with the way PC was assembled, maybe you should go over it once again preferably by breadboarding it, Backlight mode would mean that monitor turns on but gets no or wrong video signal. OSD on monitor should still work though so you could try different modes, reset it or Auto mode. Setting it on it's default resolution and 6Hz refresh ma help wit initial setup. If you could try with some ordinary monitor or TV could help with part of troubleshooting.
Thanks. I got it out of backlight mode, there was a loose cord. But alas, it's still doing the repeating shut off. I've noticed that, the adjustment menu, the one with the RGB changes for the monitor disappears when the screen goes black. I'm not sure if that's just because the computer decides to do something, or because it's just failing.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021
I made a discovery. The settings that automatically show up to change the RGB in things disappears when it goes black with the screen, and then the screen resets and appears, regardless of if I've closed that menu before. Occasionally it'll momentarily go into backlight mode, go out, then back in. It's being erratic.