Question Monitor Ghosting

trevor9blob

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
I have a 2 monitor system with 144 hertz and a 60 hertz display. Both are connected to a GTX 1080 but only one, my main display, suffers from MAJOR ghosting issues. My side display is connected VIA DVI at 60 Hertz. It has little to no issues at all. My new display is connected VIA Displayport at 144 hertz and suffers from major ghosting.

By this point im convinced its something wrong with my GPU, but I just want to make sure. Can anyone help?

I did my best to try and show how and where it shows up the most. It mostly affects dark elements/areas of whatever in viewing. I have both displays at 60 hets for the video to reduce screen scanning effect.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s17x-73j0QL0wi84bwnkUZXp5Ixf0mLB/view?usp=sharing

trevor9blob

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
My main display is a ViewSonic VX3258-PC-mhd. I had received it as a gift. My secondary display is a AOC we quite literally had just sitting around. As far as I can tell my AOC does not have G-Sync, but my viewsonic does have freesync. It didn't seem to make any sort of change.

My main display is a ViewSonic VX3258-PC-mhd. I had received it as a gift. My secondary display is a AOC we quite literally had just sitting around. As far as I can tell my AOC does not have G-Sync, but my viewsonic does have freesync. It didn't seem to make any sort of change.

Your response rate is 1ms so there shouldn't be that bad of a ghosting effect. Try unplugging the other monitor and test it out again. Display port refresh rate and response times don't play nice with monitors of different video cables being plugged into the same video source.

For example I have a 144Hz panel plugged in via DP cable, and a secondary 60Hz with HDMI input. Thus whenever I play youtube videos on my secondary it drops the refresh rate to 60 on my main.

If unplugging your second monitor doesn't work, you might want to return the monitor. It's not performing as it should.

Reactions: trevor9blob

trevor9blob

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Your response rate is 1ms so there shouldn't be that bad of a ghosting effect. Try unplugging the other monitor and test it out again. Display port refresh rate and response times don't play nice with monitors of different video cables being plugged into the same video source.

For example I have a 144Hz panel plugged in via DP cable, and a secondary 60Hz with HDMI input. Thus whenever I play youtube videos on my secondary it drops the refresh rate to 60 on my main.

If unplugging your second monitor doesn't work, you might want to return the monitor. It's not performing as it should.

That's good information! I didn't know that sort of thing happened. I'll try my setup with one display for a while to see how that goes. I'll post here is that made a difference.

trevor9blob

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
I unplugged my secondary display and my VR headset. It didn't seem to help. I'll have to try another monitor and GPU at some point to test this out. Thanks your your help guys!

I seem to have the same issue with my setup. I have one monitor plugged into Displayport to HDMI cable at 60Hz and one plugged into Displayport cable at 144Hz, and framerate seems to drop and there is more ghosting on my 144Hz monitor when I play video on my 60Hz monitor, but goes back to normal when a still image is shown. It also doesnt occur when there is a fullscreen application on the main monitor, such as a game.

I seem to have the same issue with my setup. I have one monitor plugged into Displayport to HDMI cable at 60Hz and one plugged into Displayport cable at 144Hz, and framerate seems to drop and there is more ghosting on my 144Hz monitor when I play video on my 60Hz monitor, but goes back to normal when a still image is shown. It also doesnt occur when there is a fullscreen application on the main monitor, such as a game.

Yep, that's why mixing two screens can have issues for the higher-tier/main monitor. Nothing you can really do about this in the end. Best thing to do is get the same monitor if you plan to go dual.

trevor9blob

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
The weird part about my case it it seems to mostly, if not only, affect dark colors/areas and not bright or well lit applications. (by well lit i mean in a 3d world case you would see in a game) However mine does it at all times, regardless of what's on either display.

Jan 19, 2020
The weird part about my case it it seems to mostly, if not only, affect dark colors/areas and not bright or well lit applications. (by well lit i mean in a 3d world case you would see in a game) However mine does it at all times, regardless of what's on either display.

Hi dude i just wanted to ask if you found anything that could help your ghosting problem because im in the same case as you and it starts pissing me of.

The Weird thing with m’y case is its not always doing that. Its start ghosting ouf of nowhere and the only solution i found is to restart my pc but i dont like the fact to restart everytime. If you found something that could help i would really appreciate it

TRENDING THREADS