[SOLVED] Monitor goes black screen with "No signal"

Armannn

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2014
This has been asked a bunch of times in the past probably, but I have an issue (sometimes - not always) with possibly my graphics card.
Long story short, when my PC is shut down and I turn it on, sometimes the screen tends to go black and a monitor's popup comes and says "No signal". After I shut the PC down by stripping the electricity away from it (using the on-off button on PSU) and start it again, it works just fine. I am not 100% sure now, but I think these issues tend to appear on startup only, meaning if the PC is running for days, I might never have the issue until I shut it down completely and start it again. Recently, I have switched from using an HDMI to DP and the issue came up again. Could this be a graphics card issue or does it make sense if it's something related to the PSU?

For the record, I tend to leave the computer running at all times, restarting / shutting it down only every few weeks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
check the pcie power cables attached to GPU are in tightly as I had a problem in the past where I would randomly get "no signal" and it was because the PCIe cable wasn't fully in and the led that showed it was attached was flickering a little.

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
This could also be a motherboard problem. My mother's pc had the same issue sometimes and i used the same solution (the GPU cable was quite secure) to get it to work. In her case it was a problem with the BIOS getting stuck (probably because of the battery, it was 10 years old) and cutting all power to it caused it to reset allowing it to work again.

Armannn

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2014
Quick update: Turns out after I had changed my graphics card, the issue has vanished. So I think the main issue was the graphics card (which was previously used for mining as far as I am informed).

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Quick update: Turns out after I had changed my graphics card, the issue has vanished. So I think the main issue was the graphics card (which was previously used for mining as far as I am informed).
Always got to be cautious of those mining cards. Some sellers will try to pass it off that it hasn't been mined on and then lo and behold the card dies later and the user has no idea why.