monitor going to sleep

mitsu sway

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
So i factory reset my laptop about 2 months ago and everything is working great. I use it for a couple of hours almost everyday and up until 2 weeks ago the screen goes to sleep. I close the lid and open it again and everything is fine and im back where i left off. I assumed it was just an overheating problem and would limit myself to how much i use it. The problem has gotten much more severe to a point that it goes black every minute. When i close the screen and open it would usually just let me sign in but it stays black and the power button goes off. I tried refreshing it and halfway through the process the screen went black again when it was on the HP loading screen. Overheating is off the list because this happens even when i havent opened it all day with it being shut down. I scanned for malware/viruses and nothing showed. I checked for forum threads that have similar problems but couldn't find any that helped. I also changed my power save option in control panel with no luck. Any ideas whats going on?

HP Stream Notebook 13
64-bit operating system
Windows 8.1
2gb RAM

(cant really get any more info without it shutting off again ;-;)

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
have you first verified power options aren't set to sleep, hibernate, or turn screen off after a short time?
click the 'advanced power options for this plan' button to see all of the timeouts
also, check the BIOS. while it's generally been controlled by windows since the late 90's, the might be power settings in there.

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
does the screen fade to sleep (like normal) or does it just quickly turn off?
you got a sleep button on your keyboard? if so make sure its not stuck. (that may require prying the key off)