Monitor keeps switching off.

My monitor has started switching itself off for no apparent reason!
Before I try swapping it for one off my old W98 PC, I'm posting in a
couple of newsgroups. Mainly to see if anyone can advise whether it
really does seem to be a hardware rather than software issue? I have
to press the switch twice to get it back on again each time it
happens.

FWIW, it first occurred while I was making a partition copy with Drive
Image 2002 yesterday (first time I've done that for nearly 2 years).
That process reboots into something called 'Caldera DR DOS' to do all
the copying.

I thought at first it was just some setting that powered off the
monitor after some period of 'inactivity'. But that's not the case, as
it has happened several times since while using the PC. This morning
it even happened while I was inspecting BIOS settings (another very
rare event for me).

This Mesh Athlon 1800 512 MB PC uses a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 920.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated please.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> My monitor has started switching itself off for no apparent reason!
> Before I try swapping it for one off my old W98 PC, I'm posting in a
> couple of newsgroups. Mainly to see if anyone can advise whether it
> really does seem to be a hardware rather than software issue? I have
> to press the switch twice to get it back on again each time it
> happens.
>
> FWIW, it first occurred while I was making a partition copy with Drive
> Image 2002 yesterday (first time I've done that for nearly 2 years).
> That process reboots into something called 'Caldera DR DOS' to do all
> the copying.
>
> I thought at first it was just some setting that powered off the
> monitor after some period of 'inactivity'. But that's not the case, as
> it has happened several times since while using the PC. This morning
> it even happened while I was inspecting BIOS settings (another very
> rare event for me).
>
> This Mesh Athlon 1800 512 MB PC uses a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 920.
>
> Any help or advice would be much appreciated please.
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

sounds like a hardware issue .... there's no power saving software in any
version of DOS that I know of and certainly wouldn't happen while you were
using the PC. I had an Iiyama monitor that started going into standby/power
save mode on it's own and that was the monitor (some sort of safety cut-out
thing I think).

Mal

"Mal" <mincer2000@hotmail.com> wrote:

>sounds like a hardware issue .... there's no power saving software in any
>version of DOS that I know of and certainly wouldn't happen while you were
>using the PC. I had an Iiyama monitor that started going into standby/power
>save mode on it's own and that was the monitor (some sort of safety cut-out
>thing I think).

Thank, Mal - looks dodgy then ;-(

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

"Mal" <mincer2000@hotmail.com> wrote:

>sounds like a hardware issue .... there's no power saving software in any
>version of DOS that I know of and certainly wouldn't happen while you were
>using the PC. I had an Iiyama monitor that started going into standby/power
>save mode on it's own and that was the monitor (some sort of safety cut-out
>thing I think).

Since my last post, I'm now pretty sure that the monitor power-off
occurs after a long period of inactivity, such as when I leave the PC
and return later. It did not switch off once while I was working for
4-6 hours (in Windows XP).

I appreciate it could still be a hardware flaw (perhaps stressed by
certain conditions), but could it not also be some sort of power
management issue?

Anyone with any advice please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

This morning I phoned suppliers of this 2-year old Mitsubishi Diamond
Pro 920 and they reckoned it was "definitely" a hardware fault.
They're sending a replacement. (Luckily still just within 3 year
guarantee.)

Their rationale was that other causes, such as power/energy saving
features would take it to 'standby', with amber LED on instead of
green full power LED. That includes the 'Power-Save' option in
monitor's menu, Martin. But, as I described, mine is going
*completely* off - just like pulling the plug.

Anyway, I'll report back after a couple of days' use of the
replacement.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

It sounded famalier at first, but mine was a intermitent "flicker"
every minute or so on this (then, brand new) 17" proview monitor. like
it would blink every 15-25 min. or so, anoying as hell, but it just
stop doing it one day after a week or so.. the last couple of spider
leggs must have burned off that one capacitor for all i know, but it
continues to work fine 'till this very day :]

I promised to report back. Happy to say Mitsubishi delivered a
replacement promptly. So far so good, although first overnight period
will be the acid test.

The downside is that this screen seems 'blotchy' - a faint dirty
yellow near lower edge and particularly lower left corner. Degaussed a
couple of times, but still there ;-( I suppose these are
reconditioned monitors.

--

>I promised to report back. Happy to say Mitsubishi delivered a
> replacement promptly. So far so good, although first overnight period
> will be the acid test.
>
> The downside is that this screen seems 'blotchy' - a faint dirty
> yellow near lower edge and particularly lower left corner. Degaussed a
> couple of times, but still there ;-( I suppose these are
> reconditioned monitors.
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Try to either reattach the cable from the monitor and or the port of the
card.
Make sure the cable near either side is not so bent.

Also, check if there any florescent light or speaker that is close to your
monitor. In another word - magnetic field.

CapFusion,...

"CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:

>Try to either reattach the cable from the monitor and or the port of the
>card.
>Make sure the cable near either side is not so bent.
>
>Also, check if there any florescent light or speaker that is close to your
>monitor. In another word - magnetic field.

Thanks, but the cable setup is identical to previously. And no
magnetic fields close.

I've shown a screenshot of it here:
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/MonitorDiscoloured.gif
You'll need to scroll down to see the worst areas. Sort of dirty
yellowy-green.

--

> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:
>
>>Try to either reattach the cable from the monitor and or the port of the
>>card.
>>Make sure the cable near either side is not so bent.
>>
>>Also, check if there any florescent light or speaker that is close to your
>>monitor. In another word - magnetic field.
>
> Thanks, but the cable setup is identical to previously. And no
> magnetic fields close.
>
> I've shown a screenshot of it here:
> http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/MonitorDiscoloured.gif
> You'll need to scroll down to see the worst areas. Sort of dirty
> yellowy-green.
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

No, I meant was to make sure the cable is not bent. I had a tech [very
experience] kept on indicating his batch of cards are bad but when we test
it, it working fine. We had him bring his trusted monitor in to verify his
setup. Turn out that his monitor cable is bent or loose of one of those wire
that would cause interference or causing like a round blop [rainbow color]
on is monitor.

From the screen shot, I am not sure what I am looking at for that dirty
yellow-greenish.
I am not sure which part of down [left or right] but on both end of the
screen look fine to me.
Maybe other people may see that "yellow-green" thing.
Since I do not see it or make it out, I only can assume it the color you see
is from the monitor itself that display that image and not from the graphic
card that is producing that image. Unless someone can see it and tell me
otherwise.

If it is the card, you can verify the follow way -
Have another card [old or new] and see if that yellow-green appear.
And or -
Have that card in another PC and see if that the problem show up again.
And OR -
Try another monitor and see if display the same problem.

CapFusion,...

"CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:

>No, I meant was to make sure the cable is not bent. I had a tech [very
>experience] kept on indicating his batch of cards are bad but when we test
>it, it working fine. We had him bring his trusted monitor in to verify his
>setup. Turn out that his monitor cable is bent or loose of one of those wire
>that would cause interference or causing like a round blop [rainbow color]
>on is monitor.

OK. My cables are no more 'bent' than they were before I took the
identical monitor off the desk and replaced it with the new one!

>From the screen shot, I am not sure what I am looking at for that dirty
>yellow-greenish.
>I am not sure which part of down [left or right] but on both end of the
>screen look fine to me.
>Maybe other people may see that "yellow-green" thing.
>Since I do not see it or make it out, I only can assume it the color you see
>is from the monitor itself that display that image and not from the graphic
>card that is producing that image. Unless someone can see it and tell me
>otherwise.

Yes, it is definitely the monitor. Compared to a plain white screen,
it's obvious, even with my waning eyesight <g>. And I see what you
mean about the screen shot. Now I think about it, I was stupid to
think I could capture it in an image! is identical. You would easily
be able to see it yourself. (When I *viewed* it myself, full screen,
of course I was seeing it on the monitor, so it looked identical -
duh!)

I must have pressed the degauss button a dozen times in the last 20
hours, but makes no difference. I don't suppose there are any other
adjustments I could try?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

>If it is the card, you can verify the follow way -
>Have another card [old or new] and see if that yellow-green appear.
>And or -
>Have that card in another PC and see if that the problem show up again.
>And OR -
>Try another monitor and see if display the same problem.

The identical model monitor it replaced displayed a clean white
screen.

> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:
>
>>No, I meant was to make sure the cable is not bent. I had a tech [very
>>experience] kept on indicating his batch of cards are bad but when we test
>>it, it working fine. We had him bring his trusted monitor in to verify his
>>setup. Turn out that his monitor cable is bent or loose of one of those
>>wire
>>that would cause interference or causing like a round blop [rainbow color]
>>on is monitor.
>
> OK. My cables are no more 'bent' than they were before I took the
> identical monitor off the desk and replaced it with the new one!
>
>>From the screen shot, I am not sure what I am looking at for that dirty
>>yellow-greenish.
>>I am not sure which part of down [left or right] but on both end of the
>>screen look fine to me.
>>Maybe other people may see that "yellow-green" thing.
>>Since I do not see it or make it out, I only can assume it the color you
>>see
>>is from the monitor itself that display that image and not from the
>>graphic
>>card that is producing that image. Unless someone can see it and tell me
>>otherwise.
>
> Yes, it is definitely the monitor. Compared to a plain white screen,
> it's obvious, even with my waning eyesight <g>. And I see what you
> mean about the screen shot. Now I think about it, I was stupid to
> think I could capture it in an image! is identical. You would easily
> be able to see it yourself. (When I *viewed* it myself, full screen,
> of course I was seeing it on the monitor, so it looked identical -
> duh!)
>
> I must have pressed the degauss button a dozen times in the last 20
> hours, but makes no difference. I don't suppose there are any other
> adjustments I could try?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK
>

>>If it is the card, you can verify the follow way -
>>Have another card [old or new] and see if that yellow-green appear.
>>And or -
>>Have that card in another PC and see if that the problem show up again.
>>And OR -
>>Try another monitor and see if display the same problem.
>
> The identical model monitor it replaced displayed a clean white
> screen.
>

>>CapFusion,...

When you say ** indentical model monitor ** I assumed you using another
physical monitor -Indentical model- and showing the clean white screen
without any problem? If so, then you have found your answer (?).

CapFusion,...

"CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:

>When you say ** indentical model monitor ** I assumed you using another
>physical monitor -Indentical model- and showing the clean white screen
>without any problem? If so, then you have found your answer (?).

I don't even remember asking a question...!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:
>
>> When you say ** indentical model monitor ** I assumed you using
>> another physical monitor -Indentical model- and showing the clean
>> white screen without any problem? If so, then you have found your
>> answer (?).
>
> I don't even remember asking a question...!

"I must have pressed the degauss button a dozen times in the last 20
hours, but makes no difference. I don't suppose there are any other
adjustments I could try?"

That last seems like a question.

dvus

"dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:
>>
>>> When you say ** indentical model monitor ** I assumed you using
>>> another physical monitor -Indentical model- and showing the clean
>>> white screen without any problem? If so, then you have found your
>>> answer (?).
>>
>> I don't even remember asking a question...!
>
>"I must have pressed the degauss button a dozen times in the last 20
>hours, but makes no difference. I don't suppose there are any other
>adjustments I could try?"
>
>That last seems like a question.

Fair enough, it was <g>. But not one that I can see is related to
CapFusion's comment "If so, then you have found your answer (?)."

BTW, Mitsubishi are mow replacing *this* one too!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote:
>> Terry Pinnell wrote:

>>> I don't even remember asking a question...!
>>
>> "I must have pressed the degauss button a dozen times in the last 20
>> hours, but makes no difference. I don't suppose there are any other
>> adjustments I could try?"
>>
>> That last seems like a question.
>
> Fair enough, it was <g>. But not one that I can see is related to
> CapFusion's comment "If so, then you have found your answer (?)."

I think he meant if the discoloration wasn't there with another identical
monitor hooked to your hardware then the problem is in the newer display.

> BTW, Mitsubishi are mow replacing *this* one too!

Can't beat that.

dvus

> "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>Terry Pinnell wrote:

>>> I don't even remember asking a question...!
>>
>>"I must have pressed the degauss button a dozen times in the last 20
>>hours, but makes no difference. I don't suppose there are any other
>>adjustments I could try?"
>>
>>That last seems like a question.
>
> Fair enough, it was <g>. But not one that I can see is related to
> CapFusion's comment "If so, then you have found your answer (?)."
>
> BTW, Mitsubishi are mow replacing *this* one too!
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Sorry, I was busy to reply. Got over loaded with the same common question
people kept on asking.
What I meant from my previous reply was --- since there a differences result
in another monitor with same model, the problen is about that monitor.

CapFusion,...

"CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:

>"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message

>>>"I must have pressed the degauss button a dozen times in the last 20
>>>hours, but makes no difference. I don't suppose there are any other
>>>adjustments I could try?"
>>>
>>>That last seems like a question.
>>
>> Fair enough, it was <g>. But not one that I can see is related to
>> CapFusion's comment "If so, then you have found your answer (?)."
>>
>> BTW, Mitsubishi are mow replacing *this* one too!
>>
>> --
>> Terry, West Sussex, UK
>>

>Sorry, I was busy to reply. Got over loaded with the same common question
>people kept on asking.
>What I meant from my previous reply was --- since there a differences result
>in another monitor with same model, the problen is about that monitor.
>
>CapFusion,...

OK, thanks. That's why I said up-thread "Yes, it is definitely the
monitor."

--

> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:
>

>>"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message

>>> Fair enough, it was <g>. But not one that I can see is related to
>>> CapFusion's comment "If so, then you have found your answer (?)."
>>>
>>> BTW, Mitsubishi are mow replacing *this* one too!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Terry, West Sussex, UK
>>>

>>Sorry, I was busy to reply. Got over loaded with the same common question
>>people kept on asking.
>>What I meant from my previous reply was --- since there a differences
>>result
>>in another monitor with same model, the problen is about that monitor.
>>
>>CapFusion,...
>>
> OK, thanks. That's why I said up-thread "Yes, it is definitely the
> monitor."
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Thanks you for the feedback.