Monitor loses signal while playing games

RandomBrandon

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
Hi,
I have been having a issue that keeps my monitor losing signal. I can play a game for about 5 min and then it suddenly blacks out and monitor loses signal. The game looks to be working, the sound doesn't lag and skype works well too. I think only thing I can do then is manually restart the computer.
I have been having this issue since I formatted my hard drive and installed a fresh Windows 8.1. I have tried reinstalling the drivers, because that should be the problem but it doesn't seem to work still. Tried memtest86 too and still no errors. The lower are the graphics in the game, the longer I can play but the temperatures don't go over 72C so the problem shouldn't be overheating?
Please, I need to get my PC back working to play all the Battlefield games.

i7Baby

Titan
BANNED
Clean out the cpu cooler. Increase its fan rpm to over 1000.

If that doesn't help remove the cooler, clean off the old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol then put a pea size drop of Arctic Circle paste and put it back together again.

Post you build eg what power supply, OS etc

RandomBrandon

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
It shouldn't be about the temps, cpu is about 40-50 and gpu is about 70 at full load until it crashes.
I don't think I can try other cards or my card in another PC :(

Well, this should be pretty much idle, I think it may be complicated to get a pic of full load temps but I have checked and problem shouldn't be there

i7Baby

Titan
BANNED
41C at idle is too high for a cpu unless its 38C in your house.

If that doesn't help remove the cooler, clean off the old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol then put a pea size dro[ of Arctic Circle paste and put it back together again.

RandomBrandon

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
I have planned doing a big cleaning in my pc, so I started with format C: and installed new windows (8.1 PRO) and that's when the problem came.
The power supply is 500w but i don't know which model because there is just a big ORDI sticker on it with numbers and stuff (ORDI is my local pc shop or whatever, it doesn't make PSUs)

This should show the rest of the build and i noticed that idle temps are better:

i7Baby

Titan
BANNED

If that doesn't help remove the cooler, clean off the old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol then put a pea size dro[ of Arctic Circle paste and put it back together again.

RandomBrandon

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
I will try that but still the problem occured after i installed Windows 8.1 just sayin'
E: Also I noticed that when I play Euro Truck Simulator 2, everything was fine? :??:

i7Baby

Titan
BANNED

If that doesn't help remove the cooler, clean off the old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol then put a pea size drop of Arctic Circle paste and put it back together again.

RandomBrandon

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
I forgot this thread but I've got to mention that the solution you suggested didn't actually work and it was the gpu that happened to be bad so I bought a GTX970 and the issue was gone!

Ricardo_28

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016

I seem to have the same problem but it only occurs to me when I play steam games which arent gta 5?? When I play battlefield it is all fine. Could play battlefield 1 beta without problems. So do you have any ideas what could be the issue for me?

Josh_Hardy

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016

Josh_Hardy

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
The same problem is with me, but it only seems to happen with Gmod. My other games such as Gmod, King of the Hill, etc. work just fine. If you find a solution, let me know please.

Drockk

Commendable
Feb 14, 2017

Same problem any solution?

armaos.dk

Proper
Aug 19, 2018
re installing games? I just finished my pc and i downloaded roblox to start with to test it, im having the same issue, ill download another game and get back to you asap

when im idleing it's fine, but when i attemt to change colors on my trident rbg (it did it only once) or play games for 5-20 min it loses signal and a sound like when you enter a new device, eg. usb / keyboard or mice it does a sound, well it does the same sound, and then the screen goes black but my pc lights are still on and music still plays in the background (from the game) then a windows DEEN DUUN sound, you know when it detects failure, that sounds pops up but I cant see anything cuz monitor is blank, I tried remounting gpu even placing it to another slot and my psu shouldnt be the issue or motherboard as the psu is 750 Watts and motherboard is new, only gpu is old, and it started doing it after I cleaned my ssd to download windows... it wasnt doing that earlier on my older pc.

what could be causing the problem?

armaos.dk

Proper
Aug 19, 2018
Hey dude, had the same issue. It's actually your PSU or yoor power cable isnt conncted well, so just give it another push ro try a different power output or connect it directly into the wall power plug.

Also just diagnose your psu just in case if both are fine then it might be the psu cables or if your gpu doesnt require those, might be the pwoer cables to the motherboard or the motherboard power connection to the gpu.

It lead me to think to this because when I'm idleing all is fine, only when I play it shows no signal whilew sounds works perfectly..

Jun 16, 2019
I have just read through this thread and I'm having a similar issue. I recently bought Generation Zero for PC and have been playing with friends. I get this issue where the monitor loses hdmi signal and theres nothing to do but manually restart PC. I can still hear the game and people in discord in the background and can still talk to people in discord as well. This is only happening in Generation Zero. I can play Diablo 3 on end, WoW, Dota 2 etc etc with no issue then for some reason in Generation Zero I just get hdmi loss randomly.
My CPU temps run at 24 idle and 40 while gaming and my GPU maxes out at 55 degrees celcius during game with graphics at max then 48-50 while playing on mid range settings. I get the hdmi loss on mid range settings as well, I do not play on max graphics settings.
Anyone have any idea why this happens and why its only in Generation Zero?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS