Monitor message "cannot display this video mode change computer display input to 1920x1080@60hz"

metalcob

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
My friend came by to fix his computer yesterday. I started his computer and plugged it in my monitor with VGA without removing my computer's DVI from the monitor (my pc was on as well). Then I removed the DVI, his computer gave signal to the monitor and booted into Ubuntu. After that, if I recall correctly, we restarted his pc and since then my monitor shows the message "cannot display this video mode change computer display input to 1920x1080@60hz" with any pc I plug in it (my friends pc, my own pc and I even tried with my laptop).
I am really confused with this one..Maybe some part of the switching cables process caused some kind of problem(?)

TL;DR My monitor shows the message "cannot display this video mode change computer display input to 1920x1080@60hz" when I plug in any computer in it. This happened after I plugged my friend's pc in my monitor.

metalcob

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
The monitor only shows this message and a black screen. I can't change the resolution. Appart from that it shows the message to every computer I plug in, I think it's the monitor's problem.

Weird.
I would suggest experimenting with the monitor settings (on the monitor itself). Such as:

a) toggle the video inputs

b) reset to default settings

VGA is analog and as such doesn't have much, if any, communication back to the computer so is more likely to get "confused", though I'm a bit confused if you are using digital or VGA (you are using VGA if that's what the monitor input cable is, so it can connect to a DVI-I connector).

Just FYI, but a DVI-I connector can output either digital or analog signals. The VGA adapter simply connects to the correct pins, and the DVI cable connects to its own pins. With VGA, it simply splices off of the DVI output and passes it through a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) so again there is no feedback that I'm aware of to indicate the state of the monitor.

Digital monitors can communicate back to the PC though I do not know the details.

Likely has nothing to do with the monitor. Try using a linux livedisk on USB/cd and see if that works (even if you already have ubuntu on main)

Did you read when he said he tried THREE different computers?

And..
1) as per "factory defaults" or whatever, every monitor should have a button to enter the menu. Just go in and play around. Look for a reset, or factory default. change the inputs (only one works, but maybe switching will do something)

2) to be clear, you get nothing when first turning on the PC? Can't enter the BIOS? (because the motherboard BIOS has nothing to do with Windows or any operating system since an OS boots after the POST for the motherboard. No point in messing with OS settings using a different monitor if the current monitor can't even view the BIOS)

My mind must have ignored that part ("my friends pc, my own pc and I even tried with my laptop") , one of the reasons I always use numbers or bullets for my posts, helps avoid the run-on sentence/paragraph issue and perception issues that come with that

If the factory reset doesn't work, it's possible that there was a short due to two floating power sources. If that's the case there's not much anyone can do.

metalcob

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016

Well, in fact when I was using my friend's computer the motherboard screen was shown for a very short time(like 0.5 sec) and then the message appeared. But with my own computer there was only that message, no motherboard screen or anything.