Question Monitor only works properly when connected to motherboard, not GPU

Aug 13, 2024
Hey everyone,

Today I started experiencing a weird problem regarding my monitor's refresh rate. When connected to the motherboard IO, it works perfectly at 144hz as it always has. But when I connect it to my GPU, it is fixed at 60hz (no other options in the dropdown) in windows settings and also is missing settings like resolution. When I click display adapter properties, some buttons are greyed out and clicking on the monitor tab closes the window.
In short, the monitor doesn't seem to be recognised/ functioning properly when connected to the graphics card instead of motherboard.

My specs:

• CPU: Intel Core 15-12400 with Intel UHD Graphics 730
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT with latest driver (just installed)
  • Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A wifi
  • RAM: T-Force RGB Delta DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB
  • SSD: 1TB Samsung 980 M.2 PCIe SSD
  • PSU: 650 Watt NZXT C650 80 Plus Gold
  • Monitor: LG 27GN600-B 27" 144Hz FHD Ultra Gear Gaming Monitor
For context, yesterday my PC was stuck on the VGA light on the motherboard, stopping it from booting, which I had experienced in the past and 'fixed' by holding the cables in properly while it boots, but that didn't work immediately so I removed my GPU entirely so I could keep using my PC on the integrated graphics. Today, I reinstalled the GPU, pushed the cables all the way in while it booted and it worked fine, except for the 60Hz refresh rate and now this problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)