monitor or video card

G

A stupid question perhaps but how do I tell if the color changing on my desktop and in games - all of a sudden the colors will take on a greenish tinge, then revert back to normal - is a monitor or a video card problem? I have a Guillemot Maxi Gamer Cougar (TNT 2). Thanks.

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It sounds like the monitor. If its an old monitor than the color control could be going out. If this happens more and more often than its definitely the monitor, otherwise I'd say its a driver hiccup.

G

Probably monitor. My roommate had the same problem (suddenly green color). We tried a lot of things but it didn't work. Then later when my friend moved computer to another place he suddenly noticed that inside the hook of the cable (I dunno how do you call it) some metal things were broken. He fixed it later and it worked fine. So check if the cable hooked well, use another monitor (take from your friend to test).

G

A friend of mine had the same issue. It was just a matter of a loose cable, you should have a look at the cable which goes from the graphics card to the monitor. Does the issue disappear when you hit the monitor?

G

Hey Daunting,

The majority of cases that exhibit this kind of behaviour are monitor related and specifically monitor cable related. The cable that carries one of the three colours of RGB is on it's way out, that's why the problem might be interminent. Try moving the cable at the back of the monitor and the back of the pc around and see if that helps, if it does, you've got your cuplprit. If you are lucky and your monitor cable detaches from both monitor and PC, then a new cable will sort you out. Otherwise you need to take it to the manufacturer to replace it.

Good luck

G

Getting a green tint usually means you are losing the red gun or red signal. So, there is a high probability it is the monitor or cable. It may seem silly, but make sure the cable is fully plugged in, and that all pins are strieght and fully extended (flush with each other). I have seen several times where the color fluxes you are seeing just happen to be a cable that isn't fully plugged in. If it isn't the cable, then more then likely, the red gun is going out, and you will need a new monitor.

G

Heh! Well I'll break the trend. I had the exact same problem a couple of months ago with a new Leadtek Geforce DDR card. I thought it was the cable, but the problem was occasional at first, so I couldn't really test it. After about a week, the problem stayed all the time, which let me do some monitor/vid card swapping with another system of mine. Turns out that the video card was bad.

Mike

G

I would say that this is most definately a monitor or cable problem. I had a similar problem one time where I had an old pentium machine running with an old monitor (both about 5 years old). Instead of turning green, my screen turned a tint of red. At first I thought that it was a graphic problem, but I tryed a different monitor on my system and it worked fine. I also tryed the monitor on a different system, where it still had the red tint glitch. Monitors just wear out over time.

G

Check to make sure that all pins on the cable are present and straight. Its normal that there's a couple that are missing, see that none have snapped. If any are bent then GENTLY ease them back with a flat-head screw driver

Check your cable and the graphics card connection..if its loose screw it into the back of the card.

If there's a still a problem move the cable around to see if there's a break inside. If this is the problem it will need to be serviced.

Any gun problems are the fading or loss of a colour..this is rarely intermittant and you'll normally have to get your monitor replaced.