[SOLVED] Monitor recommendations for new Ryzen 7 3700x based PC with a RX5700XT graphics card?

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Hi there,

I've just bought a new gaming rig and I intend to use my old monitor until I figure out what new one I should purchase.

I really don't know anything about monitors. I understand you need one with a decent refresh rate(hertz) for gaming etc. I'll be using the PC for gaming but also for programming and using software such as Adobe After Effects, Photoshop etc.

I'm just wondering could anyone suggest a display that is highly regarded for my purposes? I think the RX5700XT can do up to 1440p gaming-wise so I don't think I need a 4K monitor.

My budget is flexible but I don't want to be spending a huge amount of money. I'd like a monitor that can be very bright though. Also would like its width to be 28 inches or greater.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
I was wondering would getting a 27 inch monitor 1440p result in less aliasing in games due to the compact pixel density compared to getting say a 32 inch 1440p monitor?
I currently use an old monitor from 2008 that has 1080p resolution and I get significant aliasing in games like GTA5 which I find really annoying even after applying all of the necessary anti-aliasing options in the graphics menu of the game.
So, GTA5 is a 7 year old game....and it wasn't even that visually advanced when it launched. Keep that in mind.

There's also the option of using AMD's Virtual Super Resolution

https://www.sven.de/dpi/
MOST people have grown accustomed to the ~92ppi density of a 1080p 24" screen. If you show someone a screen...

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
32", 1440p, 144/165Hz, FreeSync

Would I benefit getting a 4K monitor with similar refresh rate instead? Do you think I should go with a curved monitor or flat one? I've never used a curved monitor before?

Also I was wondering would I notice a huge difference between a 1440p 60hz monitor vs a 1440p 144hz monitor if most of the games I play run at approximately 60fps?

Last edited:

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
4k is going to be too many pixels to push for demanding games.

Get a curved monitor.

A 5700XT can absolutely drive games at >60fps. Get a 144Hz Variable refresh because that will come with LFC.
Apologes, I forgot to mention I replaced my RX5700XT with an RTX 2070 Super as I was having a number of driver issues with the AMD card. My understanding is that certain things like VSync can only be availed of with an AMD card? Am I right in saying that?

Based on your previous advice I'm leaning towards getting ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TTJR...olid=2MFJYX8DVCIVM&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Can I ask what your thoughts are on it? It is a 144hz monitor but I don't know whether it has "variable refresh" as you have stated. I'm not sure what that is to be honest.
I assume when you mention LFC you are talking about "Low Framerate Compensation"? I'm looking up LFC(Low Framerate Compensation) at the moment to try to understand what that is also!

Not sure if you're meaning to say VSync (constant 60fps from the GPU to match a 60Hz monitor), or FreeSync (variable refresh rate on the monitor to match whatever is coming from the GPU).

Both AMD and Nvidia can enable VSync. Both have their own naming for adaptive/enhanced VSync also .

Both AMD and Nvidia GPUs (Nvidia GPUs GTX10xx or newer) can run FreeSync (variable refresh rate) when connected via DisplayPort cable.

Yes, the VG32VQ has variable refresh rate from 48-144Hz. It also has LFC.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Not sure if you're meaning to say VSync (constant 60fps from the GPU to match a 60Hz monitor), or FreeSync (variable refresh rate on the monitor to match whatever is coming from the GPU).

Both AMD and Nvidia can enable VSync. Both have their own naming for adaptive/enhanced VSync also .

Both AMD and Nvidia GPUs (Nvidia GPUs GTX10xx or newer) can run FreeSync (variable refresh rate) when connected via DisplayPort cable.

Yes, the VG32VQ has variable refresh rate from 48-144Hz. It also has LFC.

Okay, am I right in saying that VSync makes a monitor correspond to the PC's graphics card so that the frame rate of a particular game will match exactly with the refresh rate of the monitor? But VSync limits the frame rate of the video game to 60fps and also limits the monitor's refresh to 60hz?

Whereas FreeSync(variable refresh rate) is the same as VSync however it doesn't limit itself to 60fps and 60hz. For example if I was playing a game at 94fps with FreeSync turned on, my monitor would also also have the exact same refresh rate? Then if a second later the game drops to 84fps then my monitor's refresh rate will also drop to 84hz in tandem with the game's current fps output?

I've read that the VG32VQ has a VA panel and not IPS or TN. Do you think having a VA panel based monitor will be okay? Or do you think I should look for an IPS monitor instead? I've read that VA panels can suffer from ghosting.

VSync sets the frame rate delivery to the monitor to a given value since (historically) most monitors used to operate at one fixed refresh rate. These were typically 60/75/120Hz depending on the specific monitor. As you'd imagine, you ideally want to be able to produce MORE than (say) 60fps out of the GPU so that you can queue up 1+ completed frames and just deliver the most recent, fully completed frame each 1/60th of a second (17ms) to the monitor. This would/will eliminate image tearing, but since you need a fully completed frame to send to the monitor, that completed image may have been produced RIGHT after the last monitor refresh interval, so you get "lag" because you're seeing things in the game world "later" than they actually happened.

Turning off VSync gets rid of the lag problem, but now you're likely going to see more than one frame on the monitor at a time (tearing). Lower FPS here will cause a more noticeable "tear" since you'll have more time between intersections of frames.
tearing-bl2.jpg

With FreeSync/GSync/Variable refresh, as soon as the GPU has completed rendering a frame, it sends it to the monitor. In this case the monitor is "smart". The monitor refreshes the panel ONLY when a new frame is delivered. Since each frame takes lightly more/less time than the one before it, the time between monitor refreshes is constantly changing. Here, you're getting each frame only when it's complete, so there's no tearing, and essentially zero lag (there's still lag from other sources of course).

https://techreport.com/review/25788/a-first-look-at-nvidias-g-sync-display-tech/
^ Might as well let the pros explain it

Last edited:

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
I do have the new samsung odyssee G7 32-inch-monitor.

Up to 2560x1440 and 240 Hz refresh-rate and compatible to Nvidia-G-sync and AMD freesync.

I am very satisfied with this monitor.
That seems like a very good monitor but it's a bit pricey on Amazon UK. It's almost 650 Euros. My limit would be 500 Euros. Preferably I want something around 400 Euros.

I have identified one possible monitor that I could choose. It is an ASUS Tuf Gaming 1440p monitor, It has a 144hz refresh rate. But I can't figure out whether it's a TN,VA or IPS monitor. I assume it has a VA panel.

Jul 29, 2020
Hi there,

I've just bought a new gaming rig and I intend to use my old monitor until I figure out what new one I should purchase.

I really don't know anything about monitors. I understand you need one with a decent refresh rate(hertz) for gaming etc. I'll be using the PC for gaming but also for programming and using software such as Adobe After Effects, Photoshop etc.

I'm just wondering could anyone suggest a display that is highly regarded for my purposes? I think the RX5700XT can do up to 1440p gaming-wise so I don't think I need a 4K monitor.

My budget is flexible but I don't want to be spending a huge amount of money. I'd like a monitor that can be very bright though. Also would like its width to be 28 inches or greater.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
If you're on a budget I would recommend this monitor https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088VMY23M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I personally have it and it performs great for the price with a high refresh rate and minimal ghosting so you get the real 165 hz experience.

Reactions: realghostbuster

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Jul 29, 2020
This would probably be a perfect monitor only if it was 1440p and not 1080p. Also I'm looking for a 32 inch monitor.
I would look at this monitor then https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...AflHSf7TfEZSKUO6RsZnlOlsFMey0M6saAorpEALw_wcB it may not be 32 inches but it is 27 which is my personal recommendation for a size of a 1440p monitor because you will get fantastic viewing due to the high pixel density. It also has 144hz and fantastic response times so you will still get an incredible 144hz experience.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
I would look at this monitor then https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1501522-REG/viewsonic_vx2758_2kp_mhd_27_vx2758_wqhd_144hz.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI:514&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvIT5BRCqARIsAAwwD-Tl7xoajfbJrF_Q2vrSjJJAflHSf7TfEZSKUO6RsZnlOlsFMey0M6saAorpEALw_wcB it may not be 32 inches but it is 27 which is my personal recommendation for a size of a 1440p monitor because you will get fantastic viewing due to the high pixel density. It also has 144hz and fantastic response times so you will still get an incredible 144hz experience.
Are you saying that I might be able to see the pixels with a 32 inch 1440p monitor? Hmm...I didn't think of that. I do prefer using screens that have greater pixel density. Do a lot of people hold the opinion that 27 inches is the best monitor size for 1440p resolution? Is there some kind of consensus?

The monitor you linked to seems like a good deal, it's just that I'm put off by "not-well-known" brands that offer "great deal" monitors after viewing Linus's review of a popular AOC 1440p monitor here:
View: https://youtu.be/SN0CvLhksbM

He gave the monitor a good review but he noted that the monitor's brightness was not great. He mentions that while the blacks on the monitor look very deep, the whites on the monitor look quite grey even at full brightness. He went on to say that the contrast capabilities of the monitor were not great either. These things really put me off getting that kind of "great deal" monitor even though it seems like a really good bargain considering it has a VA panel, 144hz refresh rate and 1440p display. I know that the monitor that you gave a link to has an IPS panel but I don't feel comfortable going for brands that are not well known.

Jul 29, 2020
Are you saying that I might be able to see the pixels with a 32 inch 1440p monitor? Hmm...I didn't think of that. I do prefer using screens that have greater pixel density. Do a lot of people hold the opinion that 27 inches is the best monitor size for 1440p resolution? Is there some kind of consensus?

The monitor you linked to seems like a good deal, it's just that I'm put off by "not-well-known" brands that offer "great deal" monitors after viewing Linus's review of a popular AOC 1440p monitor here:
View: https://youtu.be/SN0CvLhksbM

He gave the monitor a good review but he noted that the monitor's brightness was not great. He mentions that while the blacks on the monitor look very deep, the whites on the monitor look quite grey even at full brightness. He went on to say that the contrast capabilities of the monitor were not great either. These things really put me off getting that kind of "great deal" monitor even though it seems like a really good bargain considering it has a VA panel, 144hz refresh rate and 1440p display. I know that the monitor that you gave a link to has an IPS panel but I don't feel comfortable going for brands that are not well known.
That's interesting because I thought that Viewsonic was a very well known brand, what I mean about the density is that the general consensus is that 27 inch 1440p is the sweet spot I don't know if you will be able to see pixels in a larger 32 inch monitor, but I do know that the image will obviously look sharper on a 27 inch monitor. I was going to buy this monitor until I realized I didn't have the budget, mainly because of the IPS panel. IPS panels usually have better color accuracy and faster response times compared to VA panels, that is why VA and TN panels are usually cheaper. This review by hardware unboxed should tell you everything you need to know about the Viewsonic monitor, but overall from what I've seen and read it is a fantastic 1440p monitor from what I know as a reputable brand with great value. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukKev6cPZhY&t

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
That's interesting because I thought that Viewsonic was a very well known brand, what I mean about the density is that the general consensus is that 27 inch 1440p is the sweet spot I don't know if you will be able to see pixels in a larger 32 inch monitor, but I do know that the image will obviously look sharper on a 27 inch monitor. I was going to buy this monitor until I realized I didn't have the budget, mainly because of the IPS panel. IPS panels usually have better color accuracy and faster response times compared to VA panels, that is why VA and TN panels are usually cheaper. This review by hardware unboxed should tell you everything you need to know about the Viewsonic monitor, but overall from what I've seen and read it is a fantastic 1440p monitor from what I know as a reputable brand with great value. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukKev6cPZhY&t
Well see, I've never heard of Viewsonic until you sent me that link. The brands that I know of that sell monitors are ASUS, Acer, Samsung, Dell, Gigabyte etc but I've never heard of Viewsonic. Maybe they're a more popular brand in the US than in my country? I've never shopped for a monitor until now so maybe that's the reason why I've only come across that brand now?

I might have to get a 27 inch panel instead of a 32 inch panel based on what you've stated because I really like pixel density when it comes to smartphones and tablets. Who knows - 32 inches might be a bit too big for me anyway!

I'll watch that review that you sent me.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Also, out of curiosity would you recommend me getting a 27 inch curved or flat screen monitor? I've never even seen a curved monitor in person before so I'm a bit wary of purchasing one even though some people seem to think they are superior to the flat screens especially when it comes to gaming...

Jul 29, 2020
Also, out of curiosity would you recommend me getting a 27 inch curved or flat screen monitor? I've never even seen a curved monitor in person before so I'm a bit wary of purchasing one even though some people seem to think they are superior to the flat screens especially when it comes to gaming...
Usually curved monitors don't really do anything unless you have an ultra wide monitor and normally decrease the viewing angles, they also usually have VA panels, which if you are looking for the best display I personally think IPS is the way to go. So I would recommend a flat monitor.

I have a 27" curved VA (Samsung C27HG70) at home and a 27" flat IPS (Acer bmpiidx-bla-bla-bla) at work. The curve isn't a big deal. Most monitors are curved at 1500R - 1800R which is pretty subtle. (However, the Samsung G9 at 1000R would certainly be strange)

VA and TN panels >25" are often curved to compensate for the color shift in off-angle viewing at the edges of the screen. IPS monitors are generally less susceptible to this, but the "gaming spec" IPS monitors often get curved too because curved is seen as a "premium" feature.

I would say that at 32"+ I'd prefer a curved computer monitor (still prefer flat TVs though for reasons mltouva mentioned). At 25" or less, curved is a gimmick. So I guess that leaves 27" as the "grey area".

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
I have a 27" curved VA (Samsung C27HG70) at home and a 27" flat IPS (Acer bmpiidx-bla-bla-bla) at work. The curve isn't a big deal. Most monitors are curved at 1500R - 1800R which is pretty subtle. (However, the Samsung G9 at 1000R would certainly be strange)

VA and TN panels >25" are often curved to compensate for the color shift in off-angle viewing at the edges of the screen. IPS monitors are generally less susceptible to this, but the "gaming spec" IPS monitors often get curved too because curved is seen as a "premium" feature.

I would say that at 32"+ I'd prefer a curved computer monitor (still prefer flat TVs though for reasons mltouva mentioned). At 25" or less, curved is a gimmick. So I guess that leaves 27" as the "grey area".
See, I would be doing a lot of non-gaming stuff on my PC such as animation and graphic design in things like Photoshop. I'm a bit worried that if I was to get a curved monitor that my line work would suffer as the curve in the screen would get in the way of accurately drawing something correctly. I have no idea what it's like to use a curved monitor as I've never seen one in person and if I bought one off of Amazon I might be disappointed.

Can I ask do things like colours etc look better on the Acer IPS 27 inch monitor compared to the Samsung VA monitor that you have? Which monitor do you prefer?

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Usually curved monitors don't really do anything unless you have an ultra wide monitor and normally decrease the viewing angles, they also usually have VA panels, which if you are looking for the best display I personally think IPS is the way to go. So I would recommend a flat monitor.
I'm starting to lean towards getting a 27 inch flat IPS monitor that has 1440p resolution based on what you've stated.

See, I would be doing a lot of non-gaming stuff on my PC such as animation and graphic design in things like Photoshop. I'm a bit worried that if I was to get a curved monitor that my line work would suffer as the curve in the screen would get in the way of accurately drawing something correctly. I have no idea what it's like to use a curved monitor as I've never seen one in person and if I bought one off of Amazon I might be disappointed.

Can I ask do things like colours etc look better on the Acer IPS 27 inch monitor compared to the Samsung VA monitor that you have? Which monitor do you prefer?
Since I've been working (structural engineer) from home for the past 4 months, I've been using my curved monitor to do CAD work 8 hours per day, 5 days per week (minus time for calculations). A straight line still looks straight because the monitor is [more or less] centered in the height of your eyes, so the line is really just "wrapping" around your field of view...

In CAD (much like Photoshop) there are many tools to make sure you draw a straight line. You're generally not 'freehanding" a straight line with your mouse, since that would never be straight anyway.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Since I've been working from home for the past 4 months, I've been using my curved monitor to do CAD work 8 hours per day, 5 days per week (minus time for calculations). A straight line still looks straight.
Okay. Would I be right in saying that you use the curved VA panel for work purposes? Do you not use the flat IPS panel for CAD? Do you use the IPS monitor for games and movies or something?

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
I was wondering would getting a 27 inch monitor 1440p result in less aliasing in games due to the compact pixel density compared to getting say a 32 inch 1440p monitor?
I currently use an old monitor from 2008 that has 1080p resolution and I get significant aliasing in games like GTA5 which I find really annoying even after applying all of the necessary anti-aliasing options in the graphics menu of the game.

The flat IPS monitor sits on my desk at work/office (normally I don't work from home). Its a 60Hz affair, only used for work purposes, so my company wasn't going to buy me something costing 2x as much (like my C27HG70 at home).

Because of COVID, all employees are working from home. So my personal curved VA panel has now become my "work and play" monitor. I didn't bring the monitors home from my office since I had enough at home already.