Question Monitor resets to 640x480 when system goes to sleep

mkenyon2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
I'm putting this in the Graphics Cards section since it started happening when I swapped Graphics Cards.
I'm running 2 Acer K2 Series K242HQL monitors (TN 1ms 1920 x 1080 FHD at 60 Hz).
My video card is an XFX RS XXX Edition Radeon RX 570 4GB (Model: RX-570P427D6).
This card has 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, and a few DisplayPorts. I have the monitors plugged into the DVI and HDMI. The one on HDMI (using an HDMI to DVI adapter) is the one that will switch to 640x480. This happens when the displays go to sleep, then the PC goes to sleep. I wake it up and the one monitor is 640x480, and going into Display Settings I can't change it. If I reboot, it comes up correctly. (Sometimes I need to reboot twice.)

I'm running the current AMD Adrenaline software (which I believe has loaded the current/proper drivers). This didn't happen on my previous Radeon card, same monitors, same configuration.

Any ideas? What can I check?

Would it be better to run everything off the 3 display ports? (I'd have to get adapters.)

Extra notes: I am running through a Dual DVI KVM switch... but was doing that before.

Update... today it started a new thing. The screen would flick off... then come back. This only seems to happen from this PC. The laptop (the other side of the KVM) doesn't have any of this issue. I replaced the cable from the PC to the KVM to see if that's the issue. We'll see.

Update 2: So the screen was fine, until I went and started Cities Skylines... which loads in fullscreen mode. Now, even though I've stopped the application, the one screen is still flickering. Also, I corrected the post, this is happening to the monitor on the HDMI port that runs through an adapter. I've changed adapter and cable.

Update 3: I bypassed the KVM and tried 2 different monitors. Was having the same signal off and on issue. This is out of the HDMI port. Now using the Displayport I'm getting the screen resize issue. I'm thinking the card is bad. Or something is up with the drivers.

Last edited:

mkenyon2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
Okay, I can replicate this on demand now.
If I run the system and let it go to sleep, everything is fine. The KVM switch is fine. It's when I switch from one system to the other that the video card goes weird. If I unplug and plug the cable, it resets the video card to the proper resolution.