Monitor resolution problem

Nikilet

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I have a new Dell XPS 8930
I purchased an adaptor and hooked up my old Dell E207WFP monitor.
Everything was good and then something went wrong and I don't know what. I can't put my taskbar on the bottom because it falls below the screen and can't be seen. All my text is broken and fuzzy, not smooth at all; hard to read.

I have my display resolution set on Windows recommendation of 1680x1050.
Desktop resolution shows that, but Active signal resolution shows 1920x1080.

Monitor shows Resolution 1280x1024 with Optimum as 1680x1050.

When this happened, I was playing a Hoyle card game which came from a CD I purchased and installed on my computer. When I opened the game and set it to full screen I got a window telling me that best display would be obtained by using 1680x1050. I have gotten that before. The game plays and looks fine. But this time when I clicked to close the sign my monitor showed that it was adjusting and after that I had no task bar and as I said, my text looks terrible.

Can someone please help me with this?

You don't mention if you are using the VGA or the DVi connector, but I presume you are using VGA.
If this is the case, there is usually an Auto button on the display where to controls are. Pressing this should, hopefully, reset the display to fit.
You could also try, using the screen's menu system, resetting it back to a factory state and trying again.

Nikilet

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

Nikilet

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Yes, I am using VGA. On the monitor there is an auto adjust button which I have pushed so many times. White it is adjusting it looks like it's putting things to rights, and as soon as it's finished, it's like the display snaps back to where it was. Last night I could NOT have my taskbar on the bottom; had to have it on top. After pushing that display a couple of times this morning I looked up and my taskbar was gone. I went into Settings/Taskbar and moved it to the bottom and now it looks fine on the bottom, but now on all my windows the top is cut off so that I can not close, collapse or reduce the size of the window. I have to use the Task Manager to end process.

When you say using the screen's menu system, do you mean the monitor's or desktop? If you mean monitor, I did that last night too; selected to set all monitor settings back to default.

I also tried System Restore last night. Tried once regular mode and it failed so I tried again in Safe Mode with a different date and it failed too. I ran sfc /scannow and no integrity errors found. I was going to run chkdsk but it said there had been no problems found with this disk and I didn't need to run it.

Is it possible that this old Dell monitor will not work with this new Dell PC? The monitor is E207WFP. I see they still sell this monitor.

Your old screen "should" work with your new PC. One potential source of trouble could be the adapter you are using to convert to a VGA signal. As far as I can tell your new PC only outputs a digital display signal.
The 2 things I would try are:
1. Re-install all graphics drivers (if not done already)
2. Try using the DVI input on your old screen. You should be able to get a HDMI to DVI converter quite readily, and then you're still using digital input (far easier to work with than analogue)

Nikilet

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

Nikilet

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
You have been extremely helpful and patient, but I'm afraid I ran out of patience yesterday morning. I ordered a new Dell monitor It was not an expensive one, but had better reviews, and more reviews than many of the more expensive ones. So I guess we'll see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll probably be back. In the meantime, thanks for all your help and information.

Nikilet

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011