Question Monitor screen turns black after opening a game ?

Jul 28, 2023
Hello Everyone, I made my PC back in 2018ish and I started to have this problem recently for about a week. Sometimes, when I open certain games, all my monitors would go black but the PC itself would still be on with the fans spinning and the RGB glowing. I would then have to hit the restart button on my case to get the PC out of this weird state. Just seems to happen suddenly when playing the overwhelming majority of my games. PC works fine when using edge or watching youtube videos while in a discord call.

Weirdly enough so far I can only get Minecraft to work fine 99 percent of the time, other games like Valorant, It takes two, or DaVinci Resolve either randomly get the black screen a few minutes after playing or instantly upon launch

What I've tried to do to fix this:
  • Installed new BIOS and Drivers on MB
  • Installed new GPU drivers
  • Made sure everything was up to date
  • Turned off gaming mode
  • Tried out different power plans
  • Disabled the PCIe automatic turn-off in Advance Power Settings
  • The PC case is clean with minimal dust so I doubt it's an airflow thing
  • I've unplugged the majority of my USB's devices
  • Disabled the automatic restart after a crash to see if I get an error code (No errors or anything just happens suddenly)

Here are my Specs:
|| All components are about 5 years old besides accessories and AIO ||
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450 Tomahawk
32 GBs of Ram (Mixture of Corsair Vengence and some other ram)
GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8GB
Corsair CX750M Bronze 80
Windows 10
Fractal Design Meshify C
NZXT Kraken Z63
LG UltraGear 24GL600F-B and two other displays
Got accessories like WaveXLR, ShureSM7B, StreamDeck, ect.

Last edited:

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
(Mixture of Corsair Vengence and some other ram)

This statement will ring alarm bells with some people on this forum.

Mixing RAM can lead to instability. Try removing DIMMs until all you have left is a matching pair, then disable any XMP overclock and see if the system becomes more stable.

The Corsair CX750M Bronze 80 is not a Tier A PSU and after 5 years may be on its way out. Do you have a higher quality PSU you could try instead?

Jul 28, 2023
I do not have a higher-quality PSU and I will attempt to leave the Corsair Vengence in the system and remove the other set of RAM. I was thinking it was the PSU (since the system has been how it has been for years and worked flawlessly) or possibly the RAM but the RAM combination has been stable for years and for some reason, Minecraft with mods is more demanding than some of the other games listed. If worse comes to worse I'll most likely have to get a new PSU from Amazon or something and test it from there.