Question Monitor Sparked! :(

Dec 4, 2021
2
0
10
0
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to this and I'm in a panic. I picked up a used Acer x34a and it was working perfectly well. When I brought it home, I accidentally touched the power pin (I did not insert it) with an incorrect power adapter. I then saw a spark and a smell of burning. I am unsure as to what to do next, is that the monitor completely gone or do I have a chance to save it? If so, what would be my next steps? I'm utterly devastated so I'm sorry if my post isn't written well.

Kind regards,

K
 

Lutfij

Titan
Moderator
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Mind elaborating on what you mean to say by touched the power pin with an incorrect power adapter? You're supposed to work with cables that came with the monitor. You might want to relocate to another wall outlet and with the right power and display cables for the panel, see if you get any display.

If you get nothing, it might be lesson learned to tread cautiously. Hard pill to swallow but you don't just randomly connect things to something in spite of seeming to have the right sized jack(inputs). For the sake of relevance you could attach images, after hosting them on Imgur or their ilk, on this thread for us to see if your beyond recovery.
 
Dec 4, 2021
2
0
10
0
Hey!

Thank you for your quick reply :)

So I unplugged my old monitor and accidentally brushed the barrel plug of the old monitor on the power socket on the back of the x34a. It barely touched the power pin but it caused a spark and now my monitor won't turn on even with the correct adapter. I will upload images when I figure out how to do it. I fear I may have short circuited it.

I hope that explains it a bit better?

Kind regards,

K
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY