Question Monitor supports 144hz on DisplayPort 1.2, but shows maximum of 60hz on Nvidia Control Panel ?

Mar 20, 2023
I have a Samsung C24FG70 which supports 144hz over DisplayPort 1.2, and is capped at 120hz 1080p for the HDMI port.
I'm pairing it with a Gigabyte GTX 1080 (Triple fans) and Windows 10.

I have a DisplayPort 1.2 cable that supports 4k at 60hz (came with my second monitor) and I swapped my HDMI cable with that one.

The Monitor menu shows the setting of 144hz, but on Nvidia Control Panel and Windows advanced display settings, the maximum refresh rate that I can select is 60hz (and 75hz for
very low resolutions like 400 x 600).

On the HDMI cable I can go up to 120hz (which is the capped maximum for the HDMI port on the monitor)

I was unable to find the reason why the DP is capped at 60hz ?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but on Nvidia Control Panel and Windows advanced display settings, the maximum refresh rate that I can select is 60hz (and 75hz for
very low resolutions like 400 x 600).

Rather than selecting the 1080p (native) from SD/HD/UHD selection, within Nvidia settings, scroll down and you should be able to see "PC" section, where 1080p should also be listed.

Image from my system:

2FogXMM.png

Then, pick the reso listed under "PC" selection.

I had the same issue as you had. Bought better monitor that runs 144 Hz but couldn't get past 60 Hz within Win/Nvidia settings. That is, until i selected the reso under "PC" subsection. There, there was no refresh rate limitation and i was able to select 144 Hz problem free.

Mar 20, 2023
Rather than selecting the 1080p (native) from SD/HD/UHD selection, within Nvidia settings, scroll down and you should be able to see "PC" section, where 1080p should also be listed.

Image from my system:

2FogXMM.png

Then, pick the reso listed under "PC" selection.

I had the same issue as you had. Bought better monitor that runs 144 Hz but couldn't get past 60 Hz within Win/Nvidia settings. That is, until i selected the reso under "PC" subsection. There, there was no refresh rate limitation and i was able to select 144 Hz problem free.
I've tried that, same deadend

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
There aren't many links in this chain, the 4 being: OS/Nvidia settings -> port on GPU -> cable -> monitor.

Now, we know that monitor is capable for at least 120 Hz, perhaps more.
DP 1.2 (HBR2) easily supports 240 Hz on 1080p. So, i doubt it's the cable either.
Your GPU (if it's Windforce OC) has DP 1.4 port. Now, it is possible that the port itself doesn't work at it's fullest, thus giving the limitation.
OS/Nvidia settings, somehow, somewhere, detect a fault within the chain, thus won't allow more than it can detect. Or is Windows throwing a fit.

As of what to try;
  • Without knowing your MoBo and CPU, i can't tell, if your MoBo has DP port as well and if your CPU has iGPU. If both would be true, you could connect your monitor to MoBo and test if you get 120+ Hz that way. This would bypass your GPU to show if issue is with GPU.
  • If above isn't possible due to your hardware (e.g Ryzen chip without iGPU or MoBo without DP), another option would be trying with 2nd GPU, to rule out your GPU issue.
  • Trying with another DP cable, e.g 1.4 (for good measure) may help. Or it may not.
  • Trying same monitor and DP cable on 2nd PC, would rule out monitor or cable issue. (Could be DP port issue on your monitor as well.)
  • If issue is with Win, clean install will remove all software issues.
Overall, i suspect the DP port on GPU to be the issue.

Mar 20, 2023
There aren't many links in this chain, the 4 being: OS/Nvidia settings -> port on GPU -> cable -> monitor.

Now, we know that monitor is capable for at least 120 Hz, perhaps more.
DP 1.2 (HBR2) easily supports 240 Hz on 1080p. So, i doubt it's the cable either.
Your GPU (if it's Windforce OC) has DP 1.4 port. Now, it is possible that the port itself doesn't work at it's fullest, thus giving the limitation.
OS/Nvidia settings, somehow, somewhere, detect a fault within the chain, thus won't allow more than it can detect. Or is Windows throwing a fit.

As of what to try;
  • Without knowing your MoBo and CPU, i can't tell, if your MoBo has DP port as well and if your CPU has iGPU. If both would be true, you could connect your monitor to MoBo and test if you get 120+ Hz that way. This would bypass your GPU to show if issue is with GPU.
  • If above isn't possible due to your hardware (e.g Ryzen chip without iGPU or MoBo without DP), another option would be trying with 2nd GPU, to rule out your GPU issue.
  • Trying with another DP cable, e.g 1.4 (for good measure) may help. Or it may not.
  • Trying same monitor and DP cable on 2nd PC, would rule out monitor or cable issue. (Could be DP port issue on your monitor as well.)
  • If issue is with Win, clean install will remove all software issues.
Overall, i suspect the DP port on GPU to be the issue.

The combinations that I've tried:
Monitor 1 + HDMI = 120hz 1080p
Monitor 2 + Display port = 60hz 4k
Monitor 1 + Display port = 60hz 1080p max (the issue)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Your MoBo has DP port and your CPU has iGPU. Now, it takes a bit of work, but you need to remove GPU from the system (so that iGPU is enabled automatically), afterwards, connect your monitor to your MoBo and look if you can get more than 60 Hz on 1080p.

Another option is trying all DP ports on your GPU.

Mar 23, 2023
It's possible that the issue is with your graphics card or driver settings.

First, make sure that you have the latest Nvidia graphics drivers installed on your system. You can download them from the Nvidia website.

Next, try going into the Nvidia Control Panel and under "Display" select "Change Resolution". Then, select your monitor and make sure that the "Refresh rate" dropdown menu shows the option for 144Hz. If it does, select it and apply the changes.

If the above steps do not work, try using a different DisplayPort cable to see if that resolves the issue. It's possible that the cable you are currently using may not be capable of supporting the higher refresh rate.

If none of these solutions work, it's possible that there may be an issue with the monitor itself. You could try contacting Samsung customer support or bringing the monitor to a professional to diagnose the issue.