Question Monitor turns off doing anything GPU related

Sep 13, 2023
Hi, I bought this pre-built pc from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DHTWR5N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1) almost two years ago and I began having this problem when I started playing baldurs gate 3. When I was playing the game one night the monitor suddenly turned off saying that it had no signal, but my PC was still running because I could hear Discord voice chat and game audio still being played. I can only use my computer again after I restart the PC manually using the power button. I thought it was just a one-time thing so I kept playing the game, but my playtime would get shorter and shorter as I was still having the same problem with the monitors shutting off, but pc still being clearly on. The problem has gotten worse throughout the week as I can't open any games that use the GPU now without the monitors turning off on the start screen or just a few minutes playing it. Cpu related games still work fine like League of Legends.

I tried the following to fix it without replacing any parts, but I'm running out of ideas and I think it might be a hardware issue. So any help from people who encountered a similar issue and what did you to fix it would be great.

Tried fixes:
- Update bios to the latest one F9 I believe from gigabyte
- Use ddu to reinstall nvidia drivers
- Undervolted my gpu
- Replacing the thermal paste (Haven't done this yet, but idle temp for gpu is 40-50c while highest temp for playing a game while it was still letting me play a little bit is 75c.) so heat doesn't seem like the issue?

Here's the full pc specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte B560 DS3H AC ATX LGA1200
Processor: Intel Core-i5 11600KF 3.9 Ghz 6-Core/12-Thread
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OC 12G (rev. 2.0)
RAM: TeamGroup T-Force Vulcan Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 500 GB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD; Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5” 7200RPM HDD
Case: CyberPowerPC Onyxia II 242W w/ (4x) CyberPowerPC-branded 120mm ARGB Fans and APEVIA ARGB Controller w/ remote
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master i71C Low-Profile Heatsink w/ 120mm ARGB Fan
PSU: Thermaltake SMART 600-Watt 80+ Gold ATX

If you need any other information feel free to post below.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Update bios to the latest one F9 I believe from gigabyte
Yeap, F9 is the latest version.

How old is this PSU? IMHO, that thing shouldn't even be called a PSU nor should it be in side a chassis. See if you can source another PSU that's higher in quality and wattage, borrowed from a friend or neighbor and see if the issue is alleviated.

Sep 13, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Update bios to the latest one F9 I believe from gigabyte
Yeap, F9 is the latest version.

How old is this PSU? IMHO, that thing shouldn't even be called a PSU nor should it be in side a chassis. See if you can source another PSU that's higher in quality and wattage, borrowed from a friend or neighbor and see if the issue is alleviated.
It's been 1 year and 10 months since I purchased the prebuilt so the psu is about that old. I don't have any spare psu I can borrow, unfortunately. But I'm willing to purchase a new one as I've been wanting to upgrade some parts of my PC. Do you have any recommendations on which one I should upgrade to?