[SOLVED] Monitor turns off for a few seconds when turning on the blender (the home appliance, not the software), why does this happen?

Feb 16, 2021
So my brother turned on the blender in the kitchen, and just a few seconds after that machine started running my monitor turned off for almost 3 seconds then went back on, the PC itself didn't turn off, only the monitor.
This has never happened to me before, my monitor is only 1 year old, it isn't damaged in any way and everything is properly plugged, in fact it's connected to a Surge Protector, my first thought was that since my brother ran the blender on max speed it drew a lot of power which somehow interfered with the monitor, but is this even possible?

If anyone knows what's probably going on and how can i solve it i'd really appreciate it, thanks!

My specs:
-Monitor: Samsung LED 22'' LS22F350FHLXZB
-GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650 SUPER ASUS TUF GAMING
-CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3,4ghz
-Mobo: Asus B450M-A Prime
-RAM: 2x Corsair 8GB DDR4 3200mhz
-PSU: Corsair VS650 650w

Last edited:
Solution
Not much you can do.

Get in the habit of starting the blender on low and gradually increase the speed.
A motor will draw extra current when starting up and perhaps gradually starting it at a low speed will lessen that surge.
What I don't understand is why there is a delay in impacting the monitor.
There are likely several things plugged into the same circuit.
No telling what outlets are connected. It may not seem logical, particularly in an older house.
You can see what is connected by turning off the circuit breaker and check which things turn off.
If there is a appliance that is not necessary to be turned on turn it off or perhaps plug it int an outlet on a different circuit.

I would not consider an overloaded electrical circuit...

Ralston18

Titan
Was that a one time occurrence or does the same thing happen whenever the kitchen blender is run at max speed?

Repeatable?

Any other home electrical issues: flickering lights, breakers/fuses tripping?

You mentioned AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator?) - could it actually be a UPS (Un-interruptible Power Supply) or something else?

What is that device (make and model) and where is it plugged into the electrical system?

How old is that Corsair PSU? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, even bit-mining?

Things you can do:

Take a look in Window's Reliability History: do you see any error codes or warnings that correspond to the time(s) that the monitor turned off? But also pay attention to any other entries that appear.

Power down, unplug the computer, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Especially the GPU.

How old is that Corsair PSU? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, even bit-mining?

Feb 16, 2021
Was that a one time occurrence or does the same thing happen whenever the kitchen blender is run at max speed?

Repeatable?

This is the first time this has ever happened to me, i don't know if running the blender again will cause this again though.

Any other home electrical issues: flickering lights, breakers/fuses tripping?

Well, when we use the microwave or the blender the lights dim, nothing too bad but it's noticeable. Other than that, the power is stable and we never had anything here blowing up or anything due to electrical issues.

You mentioned AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator?) - could it actually be a UPS (Un-interruptible Power Supply) or something else?

I have a stabilizer which is split into AVR and Surge Protector, and the monitor is actually plugged to the Surge Protector while the PC is plugged to AVR, my bad. But no, it isn't a UPS.

What is that device (make and model) and where is it plugged into the electrical system?

If you mean the blender, it's a Oster 6805-053 220Vac 50/60hz 450w PN115006, it's usually plugged on a power socket in the wall when used.

It's 1 year old as well, i mostly do gaming and rarely video editing.

Things you can do:

Take a look in Window's Reliability History: do you see any error codes or warnings that correspond to the time(s) that the monitor turned off? But also pay attention to any other entries that appear.

Nothing special registered, only Windows Update logs and a very few software crashes here and there.

Power down, unplug the computer, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Especially the GPU.

I actually cleaned my PC last week, so i did made sure to plug and connect everything in place as well as removing all the dust.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have too many things that use the same house circuit.
You could experiment by turning on the blender again.
The monitor is essentially plugged onto the same circuit.

Since the effect is only temporary, you could live with it.
For a more solid fix, buy a UPS with enough capability to run all of your pc parts, including the monitor for about 5 minutes.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I think it might be the blender is putting out a wide band RF burst when it is turned on and off which is interfering with the hardware in the monitor. In which case isolating the power or using a UPS probably won't do anything.

It's the same thing that happens with WiFi. I bet if you were to monitor the speed of a file transfer over WiFi the moment you turned the blender on and off it would show a dip.

Reactions: ThinkOutsidePC
Feb 16, 2021
Sounds like you have too many things that use the same house circuit.
You could experiment by turning on the blender again.
The monitor is essentially plugged onto the same circuit.

Since the effect is only temporary, you could live with it.
For a more solid fix, buy a UPS with enough capability to run all of your pc parts, including the monitor for about 5 minutes.
I think it might be the blender is putting out a wide band RF burst when it is turned on and off which is interfering with the hardware in the monitor. In which case isolating the power or using a UPS probably won't do anything.

It's the same thing that happens with WiFi. I bet if you were to monitor the speed of a file transfer over WiFi the moment you turned the blender on and off it would show a dip.

Ok so i did tried turning the blender again, but this time gradually going from the lowest to the highest speed; nothing happened, but when i run the blender directly on max speed some seconds will pass until my monitor is affected by the issue again.

I can't really afford a UPS right now, and we use the blender like every morning but not always on max speed so it isn't much of a problem, i was just really concerned about how this suddenly happened. So will my monitor be fine and safe if this were to happen every now and then?

Last edited:
Not much you can do.

Get in the habit of starting the blender on low and gradually increase the speed.
A motor will draw extra current when starting up and perhaps gradually starting it at a low speed will lessen that surge.
What I don't understand is why there is a delay in impacting the monitor.
There are likely several things plugged into the same circuit.
No telling what outlets are connected. It may not seem logical, particularly in an older house.
You can see what is connected by turning off the circuit breaker and check which things turn off.
If there is a appliance that is not necessary to be turned on turn it off or perhaps plug it int an outlet on a different circuit.

I would not consider an overloaded electrical circuit safe.
Perhaps you should try a different blender.

Reactions: ThinkOutsidePC
Solution