[SOLVED] Monitor won't come out of Power Save mode (Solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringMeTheAmity

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
Hi,
I've seen a lot posts written by people, over a vast amount of websites having this problem and I've been trying for about 3 hours now to figure this out but I've had no luck.

What I believe led to this was me trying to play a game. The Sims 3 to be specific.

Also before I continue, I have 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, and a Radeon 6970 Graphics card. I have two sticks of RAM, each 2gb.

Anyway, I had installed new mods, and for some reason at the first loading screen, the music would freeze, as would my computer, and the display on the monitor was all messed up e.g. tiling the Sims 3 logo.

I couldn't get anything to work, so I shut down manually. I logged on, then tried removing the mods and running the game again. Same thing happened, however this time when the computer restarted, it showed the windows log in screen and as I began to type my password, the monitor went into Power Save mode. I moved the mouse around, fiddled with the keyboard to get the display to work/computer to wake up, but no luck.

Another thing that could have possibly happened was that I could have nudged the side of my case, causing the detached piece to unseat my Video card, however I don't believe that's likely, seeing as the screen went into Power Save mode as I was sitting in my chair typing in my password.

So now I've been sifting through posts about how people's monitor's are all stuck in Power Save mode, so to save you the trouble, I'll list what I've tested thus far to try and fix the problem.

I've tried:

- Reseating my Video card
- Dusting Video card
- Pressing Fn and F5 during start up
- Pressing Numlock
- Connecting a different monitor (LG), which also went into Power Save mode
- Taking out a stick of RAM
- Using a different display cable (VGA with a DVI adapter, because Video card has no VGA slot)
- Restarting my computer numerous times
- Taking out the monitor's power cable and letting it settle for a few minutes
- Jumped CMOS

I also have two USB ports on the Dell monitor itself, so as a hunch I tried plugging my mouse into it to see if it would wake up the computer since it was directly connected, but nothing happened.

Also I'm fairly sure its not a problem with my PC itself, because it runs fine, it has the beep at the start signalling it's passed Post. I have a feeling it has something to do with my Video card, I'm just not sure what, because its been working fine prior to the -- maybe 30mb -- increase of Sims CC that I added. I don't think that would've caused my Card to cave, but I mean anything could have happened at this point, especially after restarting my computer multiple times.

I'm really at a loss for ideas. And I'd rather not try and remove the coin battery looking thing (I forgot what it's called) on the motherboard unless its a last resort.

Solution
The monitor (separate from the computer) is entering power saver mode.
Because the computer "tower" isn't outputting anything for the display;
the monitor assumes it's off, and enters power saver mode, to avoid wasting electricity.

Although, if the power light is red, or orange there is probably something wrong...
Try checking that the monitor is plugged into the computer, just in case.

If the monitor is plugged in, and that's not the problem, there is something very wrong.
The orange light is known as the OLOD (orange light of death)...

An orange light means it's getting power, but either not enough, or it has some internal power issue.
Unplug the computer, press the power button for about 30 seconds, plug it back in, and...

Peasant

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2013
The monitor (separate from the computer) is entering power saver mode.
Because the computer "tower" isn't outputting anything for the display;
the monitor assumes it's off, and enters power saver mode, to avoid wasting electricity.

Although, if the power light is red, or orange there is probably something wrong...
Try checking that the monitor is plugged into the computer, just in case.

If the monitor is plugged in, and that's not the problem, there is something very wrong.
The orange light is known as the OLOD (orange light of death)...

An orange light means it's getting power, but either not enough, or it has some internal power issue.
Unplug the computer, press the power button for about 30 seconds, plug it back in, and try again.
If that doesn't work, you may need another power cable (with same requirements, or is the same).

Tell me IMMEDIATELY if your computer makes any beep noises when attempting to power on.
Also, it's important to know if the power light is flashing, it could be something else.
I'll use the comment section (at the bottom).

Solution

BringMeTheAmity

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
Yeah, turns out my graphics card was failed. I tried it in a different computer with a different power supply, and a new monitor still doesn't pick it up. Thanks man for the help :)

chrhino

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

mine also won't come out of power save mode. I power down and re-power. the first time i re-power i get a double beep every 5 seconds or so. i then power down again and restart. everything boots ok but ask to "start normal" or "safe mode"
I choose "normal" seems to work ok for awhile but then goes into the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.