Monitor works fine with motherboard, but when I connect it to the gpu it says no signal

jayistyping

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
So I just built a new pc , https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vHc6Cy

The case in that link is different but everything else is the same, didn’t realize that the monitor I bought doesn’t come with a hdmi port and I have to plug it in to the motherboard, after awhile of trouble shooting the “no signal” on the monitor I removed the gpu and it worked. I could see my motherboards bios. BUT I’m now worried that I’m not gonna be able to use my gpu. Does it work like that? Should I install Windows whilst the gpu is out so when it’s it’s already done with I just install the gpu on and would it be fine? BTW IM NEW TO THIS. If you haven’t realized by now. I’ve even tried using a vga to hdmi adaptor to see if it would work and connected it to my gpu, that didn’t work either. Please someone help. I hope I didn’t confuse anyone

Solution
Ok, I found it. In BIOS, go to Chipset menu>SA configuration. Set Internal graphics to Enabled, and set Primary display to iGFX. That will allow you to have display from motherboard while GPU is installed.

Neruu

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017
ur gpu should work even without any installation
You should try connecting your gpu from a different connection (dp or dvi) or if u have TV in ur house which has hdmi connection, you might want to try connecting ur pc to that TV and see if it can picks up anything from ur gpu

I have also experience similar problem before where connecting from either hdmi or display port to my old monitor (which didn't support 1080p) would make me get a no signal/signal out of range
I get around this problem by connecting it into a FHD TV, then install windows and my gpu driver, then lower the resolution to 1366x768 (I still can't see my bios screen though, so when I boot my monitor won't show anything until my pc actually enter windows)

Worst case scenario is problem within the gpu itself, if u can't get anything even with monitor/tv that supports 1080p, u might want to try another pcie lane and see what happens

jayistyping

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
Well, I bought a whole better monitor that’s doesn’t use VGA, I even tried VGA TO HDMI adaptor and it didn’t work so hopefully. This new monitor ( LG 24MP59G-P 24-Inch Gaming Monitor with FreeSync (2017) ) will work with the gpu. I can access the bio i take the gpu out, but when I put it in. The monitor just blinks no signal and shuts off. I read on one of these forums that the gpu is cancelling out then motherboard’s.... integrated graphics...? Sorry I’m not sure what to call it but anyways yeah. So what do you guys think? I’ve already checked everything as well, no pins are bent and everything’s plugged in to where it needs to be. Like I said I was in the BIOS looking around when I took the gpu out. AND ALSO would I be able to install Windows whilst the gpu is out and then after it’s all installed. Put the gpu back in? And install the drivers then? Help please

jayistyping

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
^^^ yeah that’s what I was trying to do with the vga to hdmi adaptors but for some reason it still didn’t work, I am only see the bios and things with the motherboard and ik it shouldn’t be like that

So there is a possibility of dead GPU, even if it is new. Do you have access to some other machine you could put your GPU for a test?
Essentially, you can of course install Windows using only motherboard output, but that won't help at all if either adapter or card are faulty. Also, I'm not familiar with your motherboard, so I don't know if it can run display from motherboard while GPU is installed. Most motherboard have such option in BIOS - turning that on would be required so you could install Windows drivers for GPU (since you can't do that without card installed, and right now you won't get display when card is installed).

jayistyping

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017

so after i do that just shut down my pc and reinstall my gpu?

Actually, it is not fixed. It is just a workaround to allow you install Windows and GPU drivers. After you do that, go to Device manager and see if the GPU is properly listed as 1060 and has working drivers. If it does, you can reverse the changes in BIOS and connect monitor to GPU - and it should work. Otherwise, you still have problem.

jayistyping

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
And I can’t connect the monitor to the gpu cause the gpu have a vga socket. So should I just wait tomorrow for the new monitor and plug in the hdmi from the monitor to the of the?

Ok, so did you tried installing nvidia drivers? If they fail, what is the error?
Maybe you do have something with HDMI input - like a TV? You could connect it to GPU with straight HDMI cable, so we would know if card works at all. Note that some TV will not give you display when using HDMI at BIOS, but once Windows loads, they should work fine.
Otherwise, if you don't have such TV, its best to wait for your new monitor.

jayistyping

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017

jayistyping

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
I have no clue what happened with that reply but ( So yeah I don’t have an hdmi cord on my rn... but I can get one it’ll take a me a minute, oh and also when I pressed nvidia control panel, it didn’t open and gave me an error, let me see what is said)

Anyways I downloaded the gpu drives and it installed but when I try opening nvidia control panel it says “you are not currently using a display attached to an nvidia gpu”

So I’m assuming that when I get my new monitor and use it’s hdmi to connect to the gpu will fix it hopefully.

Hopefully. Now, there should be no errors in Device Manager, and your card should be properly identified there as gtx 1060. If it does so, then things look good, as if the whole problem was caused by faulty adapter.

jayistyping

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017

yeah it identified the GPU and that was very relieving and theres no more error in the device manager. i just gotta wait until the monitor :) hopefully when i connect the monitor to the GPU it'll work!

jayistyping

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017

So it came it and I plugged it in but now all I see is just my mouse and a black screen

If you still has that older monitor, connect it to motherboard, while keep new connected to GPU by HDMI cable. You should be able to boot to Windows that way. If that works, go to Nvidia Control Panel and check if both monitors are detected there.

jayistyping

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017

Okay I’ll try that, you don’t think it’s did in the bios is it?

jayistyping

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017

Okay so both of them popped up, instead I see my desktop on both