Monitor works fine with motherboard, but when I connect it to the gpu it says no signal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jayistyping

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
So I just built a new pc , https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vHc6Cy

The case in that link is different but everything else is the same, didn’t realize that the monitor I bought doesn’t come with a hdmi port and I have to plug it in to the motherboard, after awhile of trouble shooting the “no signal” on the monitor I removed the gpu and it worked. I could see my motherboards bios. BUT I’m now worried that I’m not gonna be able to use my gpu. Does it work like that? Should I install Windows whilst the gpu is out so when it’s it’s already done with I just install the gpu on and would it be fine? BTW IM NEW TO THIS. If you haven’t realized by now. I’ve even tried using a vga to hdmi adaptor to see if it would work and connected it to my gpu, that didn’t work either. Please someone help. I hope I didn’t confuse anyone

Solution
Ok, I found it. In BIOS, go to Chipset menu>SA configuration. Set Internal graphics to Enabled, and set Primary display to iGFX. That will allow you to have display from motherboard while GPU is installed.

jayistyping

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017

https://imgur.com/gallery/5hbFl

I also pressed identify displays and it’s saying both of them are “1” but on Windows it identifies them as 1 and the new one as 2

Excellent (nice picture btw). Reboot and go to BIOS. Go to Chipset menu>SA configuration. Set Primary display to PCIe. Save and Exit. Now your GPU will be primary. Check it back again in Windows, this time new one should be 1 and old should be 2.

jayistyping

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017

Nice man, so everything is back to what it should’ve been, everything’s fixed right? And btw I was playing Wolfenstein 2 the new colossus and for some I guess I moved the table and the power cable came out from the back and now all my saves are gone. Like 10 hours disappeared. So if you have any idea u can throw in there it’s mean a lot to me. And plus for some reason my mouse keeps disappearing on the right side on the screen like there’s another monitor

Because Windows thinks there is another monitor. Press Windows Key and P, and select top option (single monitor) to make it think otherwise. (assuming Windows 10)
About the saves - I really don't know how this game handles its saves, so can't help you there. But make sure the power cable is well secured, it should not came out just like that, and it's not healthful for PC.

jayistyping

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017

thanks for all your help man, i will be forever grateful:bounce:

Maitray007

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015

Maitray007

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Hey! Actually in my save is shows Primary Display with options as 'CPU GRAPHICS' 'PICE' 'AUTO'
And below Primary Display is IGPU Multi Monitor with options 'ENABLE & DISABLE'

Aug 9, 2018