Question Monitoring CPU temp with Afterburner

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
There are the following options to monitor CPU temp. 1 through 24 and then just "CPU". This is the one I have always selected. It is also pretty much in line with what HWinfo is reporting for max temp.

I am currently playing Horizon Forbidden West and came across an area where my CPU temp went from 67C to 80C. As long as I have been PC gaming (since 2016) I have never had CPU temp get that high with any CPU or other components of my builds. It's a game issue, not a cooling issue. My concern is that when the OSD was reporting 80C my fans were not ramping up to 100%. I have the CPU fan curve in BIOS set to manual and it is set to run fans at 100% at 75C. I manually set them to full and could hear and feel them at 100%. Specs below:

5900X
MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio
Asus Dark Hero motherboard
GSkill Ram 32 GB 3600MHz
980 Pro SSD x 2
Seasonic 850W PSU
Corsair 780T case
Thermaltake 360mm AIO top mounted
Acer Predator 27" 165Hz 1440P
FPS capped at 160 with RTSS
Graphics settings on ultra with DLAA

The reason I say this is a game issue and not a cooling issue is because there are many reports of the game running extremely hot in certain areas in the game. Frequently hitting 80 to 95C or even thermal throttling. I am back at one of the starting areas in the game and the CPU temp is back down to 60C.

So the question is more about why the CPU fan curve isn't reacting as I set it in BIOS. Maybe temps aren't really that high because I am monitoring "CPU" in Afterburner. Maybe BIOS is monitoring a single core?

There are the following options to monitor CPU temp. 1 through 24 and then just "CPU". This is the one I have always selected. It is also pretty much in line with what HWinfo is reporting for max temp.

I am currently playing Horizon Forbidden West and came across an area where my CPU temp went from 67C to 80C. As long as I have been PC gaming (since 2016) I have never had CPU temp get that high with any CPU or other components of my builds. It's a game issue, not a cooling issue. My concern is that when the OSD was reporting 80C my fans were not ramping up to 100%. I have the CPU fan curve in BIOS set to manual and it is set to run fans at 100% at 75C. I manually set them to full and could hear and feel them at 100%. Specs below:

5900X
MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio
Asus Dark Hero motherboard
GSkill Ram 32 GB 3600MHz
980 Pro SSD x 2
Seasonic 850W PSU
Corsair 780T case
Thermaltake 360mm AIO top mounted
Acer Predator 27" 165Hz 1440P
FPS capped at 160 with RTSS
Graphics settings on ultra with DLAA

The reason I say this is a game issue and not a cooling issue is because there are many reports of the game running extremely hot in certain areas in the game. Frequently hitting 80 to 95C or even thermal throttling. I am back at one of the starting areas in the game and the CPU temp is back down to 60C.

So the question is more about why the CPU fan curve isn't reacting as I set it in BIOS. Maybe temps aren't really that high because I am monitoring "CPU" in Afterburner. Maybe BIOS is monitoring a single core?
Most programs report "Effective temperature" just like it was a single core processor. If you want more details use a program like HWinfo
As for AIO cooling, pump is most critical component, set it to 100% all the time.
Further temperature reduction can be achieved with voltage and power control for CPU. To start with try CO (Curve Optimizer) in BIOS or Ryzen Master which dynamically scales voltage down. Range is from -10 to -30.