akemi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
I have a dual screen setup and been working from home for 7 years so usually my PC is turned on 24/7. But of course it set to sleep when I don't use it. Four years ago, my other monitor got broken, its power cable actually melted. I found out about it since I have been smelling a weird burning smell in my room for about 3 days. After that, I stopped using the monitor, bought a new one on a surplus shop. Been buying HP monitors on Japanese surplus shop, that means I've been using secondhand monitors. At present, been hearing a spark sound on my monitor for over a week, I thought it was just my speaker acting weird. Then yesterday, I went out for a while in my now airconditioned room, when I got back I could already smell a plastic burning. So I immediately turned off my PC. My monitor's power cable again started melting.

Since I've been using a monitor bought on surplus shop, the power cables I get are not the original ones. I think what I got are substandard.

or

if I got the original power cables, will this still happen because I don't usually turn off my PC?

what do you think guys, because I'm now planning to buy a brand new monitor. I just don't know if I should setup again in dual monitors or buy 1 wide screen so 1 monitor setup only. Or should I just keep it in my habit to shutdown my PC and turn off monitor's power? 😓

Monitor cables shorting out/burning has nothing to do with leaving your PC on.
The issue here lies elsewhere.

Its hard to say exactly what it is, but using genuine original cables would certainly be a cheap option to rule out an issue.
To be clear, you were using different cables for both of these instances?

If this happened more than once I would also be inclined to have your home wiring checked out professionally.

akemi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Yes, I have used different cables that came from the surplus shop. But I think it has the same quality.

I just remembered that the first melting problem happened in my rented apartment, new building, I'm the first one to rent that apartment so I think it can't be a home wiring issue. PC plugged directly on wall, Monitors both plugged on AVR then to wall.

Same here in our house, we've had our wirings checked 2 years ago. Done multiple changes too on my PC, new power supply, motherboard, additional ram. But now, I'm using a power strip. (https://shopee.ph/product/204493410/6741877920?smtt=0.14311141-1626319935.9) PC directly plugged here in power strip, both 21” Monitors again plugged on AVR then to power strip. On AVR, I also have my USB hub power supply plugged...

akemi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
I would look into trying some original cables instead and see how it works (or, just try a new monitor, not a second hand one). It sounds like the issue is either the existing monitor or the cables.
Ok, thank you. There's no PC shop here in our small town, so I might just consider to buy a brand new monitor. Can't find a trusted store too online to buy original cables.

Thank you for the tips! Checking now my 2nd monitor and comparing the cables if same with the one that melted.

akemi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
I would look into trying some original cables instead and see how it works (or, just try a new monitor, not a second hand one). It sounds like the issue is either the existing monitor or the cables.
I just checked the melted cables name - it says Youzhi Dianxian then made a quick search= must be really the problem since it's substandard.

My other monitor is using a different cable with name Kema Keur, much thicker feels.