Question Monitors randomly lose display signal, PC stay awake and I have to use power button to make it work again

Jul 2, 2021
Hello,

I have three screens. On Sunday, June 27, my computer started up with my middle screen having artifacts. I unplugged my monitors, plugged them back in and turned my computer back on and it worked. But since the 30th, my three screens randomly lose signal and therefore become black at the exact same time (while remaining powered) I have to turn off my PC and turn it back on (via reboot or by long pressing the power button), just by browsing the internet / playing minecraft. If I listen to music or I am on a Discord call I can still listen and talk to talk my friend.

I would like to specify that I recently updated my configuration and that I have a few problems since then, notably :

- If I accidentally hit my computer with my foot (for example) it is possible that it will have the same loss of signal and the fans will run full blast, I then have to restart it the same way. The sound of the computer was still running though while the screens were black.Sometimes the fans activate at the same time as the loss of signal, without there being a knock.

- I noticed on some games like Civilization VI and Star Wars The Old Republic I have a loss of signal when I start them, while they are loading. However, it seems that unplugging two of my screens and leaving only the middle one seems to fix the problem, I can then plug the screens back in and it works. Sometimes I can launch them without any problem, it's random.

After upgrading my configuration (I replaced my motherboard, CPU, SSD and RAM and changed my graphics card at the end of 2020) I tested it on Resident Evil Village, and I also monitored my temperatures on this game, everything is fine on this side. I also want to say that I have enabled an XMP profile to get the most MHz out of my RAM in the bios.

I'm afraid this is a hardware issue coming from the graphics card, when installing the new motherboard I felt like my graphics card wasn't fully in my motherboard but in the end it was fine as I had no issues with Resident Evil Village and a ton of other games, I also took my ram out and put it back in just now and double-checked that the graphics card is in and it looks good to me.

Configuration:

• GPU : RTX 3070
  • CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • MOBO : Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
  • RAM : Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz DDR4 8x2 Go CL16
Left screen : HDMI - TVHD
Middle screen : DisplayPort
Right screen : DVI with adaptater to DisplayPort

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You will need to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. BIOS version for the motherboard at the time of writing? Which two slots are the sticks of ram populating? When you performed a swap on parts, did you reinstall the OS or did you clone/image the OS over to the new SSD? You're advised to manually input timings, frequency and voltage in BIOS and avoid X.M.P for AMD's RyZen platform.

Tried working with a new set of cables? Do the monitors exhibit an issue on a donor system while setup in a triple monitor setup?

Jul 2, 2021
Hello,

My power supply is a Corsair RM750i that dates back to 2015, when I enter DXDIAG it says "2006" next to BIOS, I think this is the version, I flashed it in March just after installing my new motherboard. I reinstalled Windows on a new SSD but I have no memory manually entered the voltages in the BIOS. For the XMP this is a problem as I was told to get as much MHz as possible from the ram with AMD Ryzen processors, but if it's sure that's what's causing these signal losses then I'd resolve to remove it.

I haven't tried new cables, should I do that in your opinion? Do I have to buy new cables? I don't have the possibility to test the screens on another system unfortunately.

I thought about using DDU and uninstalling the latest Windows 10 updates, but I don't want to risk a loss of connection during the process which could be catastrophic since I have to restart the computer using the power button. Is this something I should do or am I waiting for another possible solution?

Thank you for your answer!

Aug 4, 2021
Hello,

My power supply is a Corsair RM750i that dates back to 2015, when I enter DXDIAG it says "2006" next to BIOS, I think this is the version, I flashed it in March just after installing my new motherboard. I reinstalled Windows on a new SSD but I have no memory manually entered the voltages in the BIOS. For the XMP this is a problem as I was told to get as much MHz as possible from the ram with AMD Ryzen processors, but if it's sure that's what's causing these signal losses then I'd resolve to remove it.

I haven't tried new cables, should I do that in your opinion? Do I have to buy new cables? I don't have the possibility to test the screens on another system unfortunately.

I thought about using DDU and uninstalling the latest Windows 10 updates, but I don't want to risk a loss of connection during the process which could be catastrophic since I have to restart the computer using the power button. Is this something I should do or am I waiting for another possible solution?

Thank you for your answer!

I'm getting the exact same problem. I'll be playing Escape from Tarkov and the screen will flicker black then all of a sudden the screen goes back and shows lost signal, I can still hear the game sounds but won't hear discord. Weird thing is this all started happening yesterday and I haven't done anything to the system for about a week, all my parts are brand new (RTX 3080, RYZEN 5 5600x) if you could let me know if you figure something out that would be awesome and I'll do the same if I figure it out

Jul 2, 2021
I'm getting the exact same problem. I'll be playing Escape from Tarkov and the screen will flicker black then all of a sudden the screen goes back and shows lost signal, I can still hear the game sounds but won't hear discord. Weird thing is this all started happening yesterday and I haven't done anything to the system for about a week, all my parts are brand new (RTX 3080, RYZEN 5 5600x) if you could let me know if you figure something out that would be awesome and I'll do the same if I figure it out

Hello, after posting this message I searched on internet for people who had the same problem as me and ended up finding someone on reddit who had exactly the same. I sent him a private message and he ended up advising me to remove then put back my ram bars before telling me that the problem was his graphics card (RTX 3070) that he had to replace. In the end, the first solution worked because since I made this simple manipulation I have no more problems! This was about three weeks ago. Try to remove the ram and then put it back in, make sure it's in there, try it for a few days and come back to give me some news :D I hope it will work!

MrWeatherby

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2013
I posted a thread about this but I've had a similar issue on an old build. It really liked to do it under two circumstances: playing a game, or turning the monitor power off and back on after a few minutes. Eventually I did a hard reset and found I no longer had a bootable drive. It happened again on the build I made to replace the old one, which still uses the GTX980 from that build, as well as the RAM sticks, but using a restore point seems to have fixed the issue. It did happen to go fairly far between on the previous build, however. Going to do a memtest on the RAM after work just to be on the safe side. If it is hardware related, I almost hope it's that and not the GPU. God knows RAM is a whole lot cheaper to replace.

Sep 28, 2021
Hello, after posting this message I searched on internet for people who had the same problem as me and ended up finding someone on reddit who had exactly the same. I sent him a private message and he ended up advising me to remove then put back my ram bars before telling me that the problem was his graphics card (RTX 3070) that he had to replace. In the end, the first solution worked because since I made this simple manipulation I have no more problems! This was about three weeks ago. Try to remove the ram and then put it back in, make sure it's in there, try it for a few days and come back to give me some news :D I hope it will work!
im doing the exact same fix,the ram thing,but i always do it and i'm afraid the ram will brake eventually.

Nov 1, 2021
I have had a similar problem since i updated my Graphics drivers on october 12th. I have tested with another cable, monitor, PSU, GPU and motherboard i even reinstalled Windows, so im lost too